The Official NME Story Coverage Thread

The Times, South Africa - It would be a crime to end this dream:

http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Sport/Article.aspx?id=653909

This page was slow to load for me. It is probably best ignored anyway

'Morrissey, who headed up UK band The Smiths in the 1980s, is in trouble after a controversial interview with music rag NME last week......'

'Of course, bigots have popped up on blogs and letters pages railing against Bangura and others. They, like Morrissey, blindly propagate a Britain for Britons.'

A point of personal interest that was 'According to the study, children born in autumn were 9% less active.'

From The Sunday Times - December 16, 2007 - by Christopher Hart
Jack and the Beanstalk/ Dick Whittington & His Cat

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/stage/theatre/article3042416.ece

Opening paragraph (No other Morrissey connection/mention):

The Hackney Empire’s Christmas panto is still the best in town. It “celebrates diversity” and multi-culti London and all that Ken Livingstone guff that, if you believe the NME, would have Morrissey flying a thousand miles, while simultaneously demonstrating a determined parochialism that is oddly old-fashioned and endearing.

It seems as if the Big Word associated with Morrissey has, at long last, changed from "celibate" - to "bigot," and all so quickly, too. Amy Winehouse is a drunk, Pete Doherty is a drug addict and Morrissey is a xenophobe. Cute.

"If you don't reveal yourself," apparently, "we shall do it for you."

It was some Little Englander stuff, no mistake, but it was plainly said in innocence and the response lost all proportion almost immediately. I'm really continuously shocked by what I'm reading on this page and how rapidly it seems to be degenerating to the point where people who haven't even read the interview are making casual jokes about it at Morrissey's expense.

This started out bizarre; now it's just unfortunate.

It seems as if the Big Word associated with Morrissey has, at long last, changed from "celibate" - to "bigot," and all so quickly, too. Amy Winehouse is a drunk, Pete Doherty is a drug addict and Morrissey is a xenophobe. Cute.

"If you don't reveal yourself," apparently, "we shall do it for you."

It was some Little Englander stuff, no mistake, but it was plainly said in innocence and the response lost all proportion almost immediately. I'm really continuously shocked by what I'm reading on this page and how rapidly it seems to be degenerating to the point where people who haven't even read the interview are making casual jokes about it at Morrissey's expense.

This started out bizarre; now it's just unfortunate.

It is extremely upsetting.

I just got my magazine via ebay (I had a hard time finding it in New Jersey), finally read it yesterday and it really wasn't a big deal.

Good job making a mountain out of a molehill NME...

Back
Top Bottom