The OFFICIAL Manchester United Thread

Terry Hall is a Chelsea supporter.

:lbf:, Terry Hall is a massive red. Apology, please or girls, just stay away from subjects you have no idea about..:rolleyes:

A small exert from Red News fanzine; an interview with Terry Hall.

RN: The night before the 1985 Cup Final you played in Liverpool. Where was that?
TH: It was at Liverpool University with Colourfield. I was very excited about the day after and for the encore I did ‘Glory Glory, Man United’ but it was only me who did it, none of the band joined me. I had a huge United flag that I draped across me. The drummer was an Everton fan, Gary, who was in The Teardrop Explodes but he wasn't going to the Final, and I was.
RN: How did that go down then?
TH: Not very well! The odd bottle here and there but what do you do!
RN: A Gig in front of thousands of people who have come especially to see you or United winning the European Cup?
TH: European Cup. Without a doubt. I've done the pinnacle of gigging with the Specials with crowds of about 10,000 in America, which is pretty big but it really doesn't compare.
RN: Can you remember what made you support United?
TH: It was definitely the '68 final. I was 9 and up until then my Dad used to go and watch Coventry, he used to try and get me to go but I used to hate it. Even post crawling stage I knew I shouldn't be going to that crap! He took me to a couple of games but that night when I watched United-Benfica, that was like real football and it left such a massive impression.
RN: Can you remember your first match?
TH: It was at Old Trafford. We had an 4 Auntie in Bolton and her son had moved down to Coventry and he watched them and he took me up to see United-Coventry. I'm trying to think of the date and it has always bugged me but it was around 1970/71. We sat at the back of the Stretford End. From that point, it's been said many times before over the years but you get the bug. It's beyond football. You get the bug. I had to wait a couple of years before I started getting part time jobs and going more.
RN: Best game, not including Barca ‘99?
TH: The replay at Villa Park. Looking back over the Final, the semis and stuff, league vs Spurs, Villa Park was just incredible, the most incredible game I have ever been to. It was unbelievable. I remember turning to leave when they got the penalty and thinking we're out, it's gone, I couldn't bear watching Bergkamp score, and then he didn't and it was like 'there's life'. Keane going off, and then that goal...

RN: Do you collect any United memorabilia?
TH: Yeah, well your scarf has just added to it! (Aidan presents Terry with a scarf on behalf of all at RN). I used to buy a lot of silk scarfs in the 70s, there were some brilliant ones with cartoon drawings on them and all sorts, brilliant. I used to collect a lot of programmes but I've stopped doing that now because they just take up a lot of room. I like going to the fixtures at the back and who is playing who.
RN: Have you ever met any United celebs?
TH: I did a TV show with Docherty, Stuart Pearson and Gordon Hill. It was a Thames TV thing. I can't remember what it was but it was a pre-cup final thing. Docherty was such a twat to me, he was just a complete twat. We were in the green room beforehand, sitting there, you don't make any big deal that is just where you have to stay and as he was going out the door he said: "Can you keep an eye on my coat for me’. I was like ‘I'm on it with you mate!’. It was just that assuming it was all about him which is horrible.
RN: Any celebrity fans?
TH: Ian Brown, he's alright. You do meet them over the years, Angus Deayton was one. I don't know (about his support...). You just question where they have come from its like the Zoe Ball thing, you're not quite sure.
RN: Do you think it was too short a time after leaving the Specials to return with Fun Boy Three?
TH: I tell you what it was. Because the last 6 months of the Specials was so heavy all we wanted to do was get into a studio and mess about. It wasn't even for an album - it was just to try and exorcise all that shit we had been going through for a year. We never had songs or anything, we just wanted to play instruments and see what happened. Because we were contracted to Chrylasis we made a record.
RN: Do you have any advice for City fans?
TH: They are beyond advice really. Have a shave, get rid of the ‘tash!
RN: I've always likened hating Man City to like hating a man who hasn't got a cock, you just don't need to do it do you!
TH: I was once managed by a City fan and I've got two or three close friends (who are city fans) but I could never go down to their level of sourness. Well it's impossible. Kevin Cummins the NME photographer is a big City fan and he goes to a lot of games. I made him take photos of me in the NME in the mid 80s at Old Trafford. I said I wouldn't do it anywhere else and he got to do it. His face was a picture. He took three, 'that will do!'
RN: Can you sum up Fergie's reign in ten words?
TH: Patience, paid off. I remember the first game at Oxford when he first took over... He got over that spell of 'Get him out, get him out' and thankfully it was patience and now he is one of the greatest managers ever. It is impossible to dispute that no matter where you are from.
RN: What words some up Fergie?
TH: A sense of Loyalty, passion, alcohol...or horses...red nose but just a fantastic manager.
RN: What was your first United badge?
TH: It was a patch, it was like a hippy one with 'come on United'. Like the Churchill one. I used to collect patches to sew on scarfs or sew them anywhere in fact. A jean jacket. A mate we used to go with had the Butchers Coat on and it was dead weird. But you still see a few blokes at the games with them on... the old bloke with the teddy bear hat, he's still got one on.
RN: Are you still in touch with Coventry and what do you think of the music scene there?
TH: Only to go and see relatives really. There is no love lost between me and Coventry, unfortunately. I didn't feel they owed me anything and I didn't feel I owed them anything. I remember when we moved up to Stockport in '82 I did an interview with NME and they chopped it all up, but there was a headline in the Coventry Telegraph that said 'Terry the Traitor'. Freaked my Mum and Dad out, horrible.
RN: Did you ever get into any heated debates with other band members about football or were they not really bothered?
TH: They weren't really into football. None of them went, ever.
RN: How do you feel about the smoking ban?
TH: I think its ridiculous. I understand it, I understand non-smokers enjoying it and if you go to clubs now it smells really weird. You can smell people now. I've always been a smoker that if someone in the room objects I'll go outside so it doesn't bother me. I prefer smoking outside anyway.
RN: Did you shag any of them from Bananarama?!
TH: No. Can you imagine my mum reading that!
RN: Nightclub is my favourite Specials track. Which track did you enjoy performing the most?
TH: Performing it was probably Gangsters but to listen to, well not even listen to, but something that might come on the radio every now and again, is Ghost town. Every time I hear it - 20 years on - I just think’ God that was a great record’. It always shocks me, ‘God that sounds great’.
RN: Has the fact you are Terry Hall saved or caused any bother while following United?
TH: I had a slap at Anfield in the 80s. I've also had the other thing where other fans take the piss. You can put up with that. I've had 20 Everton in a service station singing "Terry, Terry give us a song" and you think 'f*** off!'. These 4 four lads once spotted me and had I not been who I was there would have been trouble, that has happened a lot. That happened at Forest years ago.
RN: Which team do you dislike the most?
TH: In the era we grew up Leeds was always a weird one and still is and now with the demise of Leeds it's fantastic. It was out and out hatred. Obviously Liverpool were a close second and City you can't be arsed with. Chelsea I don't like, I don't like their fans or the team, I never have. I was saying to Suggs actually, and Damon Albarn, 'How you can go and watch a team like that, when just walking up to the ground it is like a Nuremberg Rally’. Terrible
.:lbf:
RN: What is your viewpoint on Saha?
TH: I don't know. I'm not a massive fan to be honest, I'm not convinced, its the same with Tevez it just doesn't actually feel right. With Ruud it felt dead right, there was that confidence and that confidence isn't there up front. You just don't know.
RN: Did you travel from Coventry in the 70's and what are your memories?
TH: Travelled a lot. Five or six of us used to go from Coventry and Rugby. There were a lot of games where we used to get into trouble but everybody did then. Stoke was one of the worst grounds I went to. I got hit 4 times and I got chased with a pick axe.
RN: Did you go to any games in the relegation season?
TH: I went to a few games, but looking back that was the end of the era, that was the turning point. Something had to happen again.
RN: And the start of an era. The Red Army came into its own.
TH: Unbelievable. I remember the first game back in the first division against Wolves and there must have been sixteen thousand there. It was mad. I went to Blackpool away.

Thanks to Terry. Interview by Aidan. Transcript by John. Copyright Red News 2007.

Had to listen to the game on the radio. We miss the penalty but Alan Green was saying that it definitley wasn't a peno anyway. Seen the highlights after and it was a stonewall penalty. Hes entire commentary is biast being a bitter liverpool fan.

Ha ha, I've become a Chris Moyles fan. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
There could be some on-field and off-field action on Sunday afternoon in Manchester, when we play one of our biggest rivals in the FA Cup 3rd round. :guitar:

FC United of Bury:thumb:
I know Andy Walsh quite well, if you know who he is;)

Jukebox Jury

Well he was heavily involved in forming the club, wasn't he Phill? Is he an alright geezer?

Probably bumped into him in the 80's when I travelled home and away, without knowing.

Dya know, mate, if we could get all pedantic about who's from Manc and who isn't. Morrissey, Ricky Hatton, Anthony H Wilson, Ian Curtis, Hooky and probably a plethora of others who purport to be, aren't. :confused:

Well he was heavily involved in forming the club, wasn't he Phill? Is he an alright geezer?

Probably bumped into him in the 80's when I travelled home and away, without knowing.

He's the chief executive!
Was one of the leading lights of IMUSA in the early days, along with Adam Brown, Mark Longden etc and lead the campaign against Murdoch & Sky

Jukebox Jury

Dya know, mate, if we could get all pedantic about who's from Manc and who isn't. Morrissey, Ricky Hatton, Anthony H Wilson, Ian Curtis, Hooky and probably a plethora of others who purport to be, aren't. :confused:

It's like the whole Madchester / Manchester bands
Here is the list of truely Manc bands that I can think of over the past 20 years -
Oasis, Northside, MC Tunes and that's about it!

Jukebox Jury

It's like the whole Madchester / Manchester bands
Here is the list of truely Manc bands that I can think of over the past 20 years -
Oasis, Northside, MC Tunes and that's about it!

Jukebox Jury

True that. I reckon we could add 808 state to that list. I well like these tunes.

'Manchester, the dance capital of England' :thumb:

[youtube]0CMiB4z8JgY&NR=1[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha ha I just got up (am 5 hours behind) and listening to Talk Sport:rofl:
But expect there will be a dodgy penalty / Fergie time goal somewhere along the way:mad:

Jukebox Jury

Tags
2-1 4-1 2-0 4-3 96 ftw champions city are shit fans/team=shite munich kyle stretfordrovers tevez is wank weloveleeds
Back
Top Bottom