The Official "isn't Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed an ACE song" Thread

Ben Budd

Just listening to the Tel Aviv broadcast and Mama... is starting to sound absolutely fantastic live. I've got the Lille gig where it was premiered and loved it then, but with all the swirly electronic effects I actually think it sounds better.

Lyrically, it's clearly an ode to Joyce and the effect that the court case twelve years ago is having on his dearest mother up the road from me in Altrincham. It's a topic that Moz HAS done to death over the course of Maladjusted and Quarry but the new spin on the subject matter is refreshing.

Also, I always get goosebumps in the final part of the song, just as Kris gets on the other drum and is joined by Boz. Bliss.

It's a great song!

I wonder why he has stopped playing "Something is squeezing my skull" though, which was premiered around the same time...

It's a great song!

I wonder why he has stopped playing "Something is squeezing my skull" though, which was premiered around the same time...

I wondered about that too, and I wondered if it might have had something to do with the alleged dispute with Alain? Then I checked the co-writers...

All You Need Is Me - Tobias
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Boorer
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed - Whyte
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell - Boorer
Something Is Squeezing My Skull - Whyte

So, he is still playing live a new White song, but not playing another one. So they haven't fallen out...or something, err......

Peter

I wondered about that too, and I wondered if it might have had something to do with the alleged dispute with Alain? Then I checked the co-writers...

All You Need Is Me - Tobias
I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris - Boorer
Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed - Whyte
One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell - Boorer
Something Is Squeezing My Skull - Whyte

So, he is still playing live a new White song, but not playing another one. So they haven't fallen out...or something, err......

Peter

Maybe he got a better response for Mama? I don't know. I don't even know if he really considers those sort of things when he chooses what to play before he goes on...

It is indeed an ace song.

I think the last few gigs have been tailored to more casual fans, so he has included more old favourites at the expense of new songs. When he tours the new album I'd guess Mama and Skull will both be regular fixtures along with many more new songs. And we can look forward to all the moaning on the main page from all the old git misogs who go to Morrissey gigs just to hear the old hits. :p

I ADORE this song,
esp the drums at the end,
it has a real military style drum beat to it, and usually that'd be offputting but somehow here it works.
:)

i think its his best out of the new songs,i enjoy all the electronic swirls in it as well,and i really like that chorus.

It's hardly an ace song.

you're opinion doesnt count since you also hate "Swallow On My Neck." :rolleyes::p

and why has he stopped playing "Squeezing my Skull?" that's easy: it kinda sucks. and that high note that he attempts to hit, is kinda painful. maybe he's working on that part.

"Mama" is really f***ing good though. I agree.

you're opinion doesnt count since you also hate "Swallow On My Neck." :rolleyes::p

You have a good memory--"Swallow" blows.

I just don't understand all the fuss over "Mama." It's not terribly groundbreaking. It has a few quotable lines, just like all Morrissey songs, but musically, it's just "Roy's Keen" with a solo snare. If that makes it stand out for most fans, then that just says how low our expectations have become.

As long as I haven't heard a proper studio recording I'd say that it's a cool new tune but definitely not ace.

It is an amazing song. It really is. It is my favourite of all the new songs.

The electronics make it spectacular. It is such a dramatic, brooding song.

It is an ace song. Blew me away when I first heard it at Hyde park.

It is a wonderful song, as indeed "Skull" is and people who think differently are talking out of their collective arses :p

I've never heard HIM sing it, though...

viz_character_12.gif

Hmm, I could see this as partial influence on the lyrics (the money men and scary suits coming to visit Morrissey's mum's house to collect), but the central concept of the song is a Mother who did something ("Why did you do it?"). Which is...?

Lyrically, it's clearly an ode to Joyce and the effect that the court case twelve years ago is having on his dearest mother up the road from me in Altrincham. It's a topic that Moz HAS done to death over the course of Maladjusted and Quarry but the new spin on the subject matter is refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom