The Official General Election Thread

So voting is 'work' but almost everything else is allowed??? :crazy:

As Bluebirds explained, traditionally the UK holds election on Thursday due to historical reasons.

Having election on Thursday fits the majority of voters' convenience.

Thank you for your answers about the vote.:) I am surprised people go to work and vote the same day, it is not probably very easy for them (they may have to wait a long time, because people go to vote at the same time??).
In France, elections are on sundays. Politicians like to bother us during the week-end...:rolleyes:
Does the Queen Vote, by the way??? I think she can't, but I may be wrong.

As Bluebirds explained, traditionally the UK holds election on Thursday due to historical reasons.

Having election on Thursday fits the majority of voters' convenience.

It's because traditionally it was a Blue Peter day so made it easier to remember.

We had elections a few weeks ago, and the conservative party won more than two thirds of the parliamentary seats. :eek:

Do you think a coalition government would be feasable in the UK? That would be so exciting! And if not, and a second round is to be held, will it be enough to win a majority of the votes but not necessarily an absolute majority?

Thank you for your answers about the vote.:) I am surprised people go to work and vote the same day, it is not probably very easy for them (they may have to wait a long time, because people go to vote at the same time??).
In France, elections are on sundays. Politicians like to bother us during the week-end...:rolleyes:

The polling stations are open from 07:00-22:00
Queenie doesn't vote

No the Queen as Head of State is part of the Parliamentary institution so she can't vote. Nor can her immediate relatives. Prince Philip, the Greek, would probably vote BNP though

ok changed my mind and voted liberal thanks walter

Last edited:
I'm off I look forward to engaging in some political discourse later. Or at least commenting on NDubz prediliction for The Green Party

It's not because she's head of state,the insane aren't allowed a vote.
ah ah ah !!
Thank you so much for your answers! I had understood the vote was from 7 to 22, but it doesn't seem very practical for me. (I am french, ah ah ).
I remember going for the 1st time in UK in may 1997 as a tourist. Blair had just been elected!!! And guess what, I was probably towards 10 downing street, like many tourists (I can' t remember where I was) , and I saw a politician shaking some hands. And then, he shook mine. And the guy was... Gordon Brown!
God, he had some energy! I did not know who he was at the time.

Last edited:
Anyone care to place a prediction before the polls close at 10 and the TV companies start making their predictions.

I'm going for Conservative largest party but no majority. They will try to form a minority government (not a coalition) with support from the Ulster unionist parties to get legislation through (a bit like the SNP do in Scotland at the moment).

Cameron will go back to the country for another election, to seek a fuller mandate within a year.

Anyone else with a crystal ball?

Dave

Anyone care to place a prediction before the polls close at 10 and the TV companies start making their predictions.

I'm going for Conservative largest party but no majority. They will try to form a minority government (not a coalition) with support from the Ulster unionist parties to get legislation through (a bit like the SNP do in Scotland at the moment).

Cameron will go back to the country for another election, to seek a fuller mandate within a year.

Anyone else with a crystal ball?

Dave
Anyone remember staying up in 1997 and feeling elated watching Portillo lose his seat? I predict I will be feeling the exact opposite of that at 2am tomorrow morning....:(

Anyone remember staying up in 1997 and feeling elated watching Portillo lose his seat? I predict I will be feeling the exact opposite of that at 2am tomorrow morning....:(

:D Yes, very happy memories of 1997. Spent with Labour activists in Salford and a victorious Hazel Blears!!!

2010 will probably be just as memorable but for all the wrong reasons. There will be a few Portillo moments tonight, but the boot will be on the other foot.

And this time I'll be sat in on my own... crying into my pint watching hooray-henries celebrate with their champaign. :tears:

Dave

Hello, you may or may not know me but I am called Malcolm Tucker (See photo)

As you all know tonight is the announcement of the general election 2010 and I say that you all tune into the BBC to watch pointing a rifle at David Cameron's head as and when he gets elected. If he doesn't get elected then you can also watch me on the BBC by pressing the red button and watching me tug myself off until I f***ing bleed.

All those Tory c***ing voters out there, when I find out who you are then you will be shitting your own toe-nails and don't worry, I've painting them yellow so they look like f***ing bits of Sweetcorn.

I am f***ing everywhere and I will hunt you down. I have already strangled two old women in Cheadle's polling station this morning and I will strike again, furthermore, if I don't find you then my pet seagull will and I will instruct that Percy the Seagull comes and shits on your kitchen floor, deflates the tires on your grandmother's wheelchairs and picks the brains out of your dear beloved children.

Regards and f***ity-bye,

Malcolm Tucker.

P.S - REMEBER: I AM f***ING EVERYWHERE.

thick2_gal.jpg

Sadly,I think you could be right.

Right,had my nap,on to the espresso and got a bottle of red awaiting.
Let battle commence !
:)

Which channel r u all watching?
BBC projecting results on big ben.
Election madness,I say.

Back
Top Bottom