The official art film thread.

Jane Birkin

I know that there is another thread dedicated to the last movie you saw, but this is strictly for art film fans.
what are your favourites?
I guess i'll start.
I recently watched, Terence Davies's Distant Voices, Still Lives. Great British film loved every minute of it.

Last edited:
I love French films, my favourite French filmmakers are:

Jean Renoir

Robert Bresson

Jean Pierre Mellville

Rene Clair

Marcel Carne

Francios Truffaut

Louis Malle

Jacques Rivette

Eric Rohmer

Alain Resnais

Arnaud Deplechin

Jacques Demy

Agnes Varda

Claire Denis

Marc Caro & Jean Pierre Jeunet

Jean Eustache

Chris Marker

Olivier Assayas

Last edited:
I've watched all of Bresson, Truffaut and Rivette's films and 80% of rest of the directors' work so far.

I'm not very fond of Milou en mai.
It's an unfortunate coincidence that the film was released just after Juzo Itami's Funeral which is very similar to Milou en mai.

However, I was lucky to meet great Michel Piccoli two years ago, need to watch it again.

IMHO Malle's masterpiece is Lacomb Lucien.

8 french films me like a lot off the top of my head:

La_Belle_et_la_B%C3%AAte_film.jpg

pepe_le_moko.jpg

A_souffle.jpg

Quatre_coups2.jpg

Amelie_poster.jpg

Bluevidcov.jpg

svLaFemmeNikita.jpg

&
Betty_blue_ver2.jpg

it has one of the best opening scenes ever...

I'm done thinking about French cinema for the moment.

I just wrote a paper on Godard's Weekend and Marker's San Soliel, with a bit on Battleship Potemkin too.

But if you haven't seen La Jetee, it's a good watch. and very short.

I just wrote a paper on Godard's Weekend and Marker's San Soliel, with a bit on Battleship Potemkin too.

I love La Jetee, it's one of my favourites!
I am very interested in reading your paper on Godard/Sans Soliel! Is it published anywhere?

I have been watching alot of Buñuel lately, Viridiana is extraordinary!
Also, I just wrote something about the Spanish films Cria Cuervos and The Spirit of The Beehive (which may be one of the most beautiful films ever made!)
:D

Did you know that 12 monkeys was based on La Jetee? :)
I've actually wondered for years whether la jetee can be called a film, seeing as it's a series of "photo roman " style shots.

I was watching Renoir's sublime "La Grande Illusion" on Saturday night. A masterpiece.
Also, I adore the "holy trinity" of Louise Brooks films, "Pandora's Box", "Diary Of A Lost Girl" and "Prix de Beauté".
One could ponce on endlessly about such matters for days :)

I am very interested in reading your paper on Godard/Sans Soliel! Is it published anywhere?

I haven't submitted the paper for publication yet. Just finished writing it. It's off being read by others. I'm now thinking about which journal to submit it to.

Did you know that 12 monkeys was based on La Jetee? :)
I've actually wondered for years whether la jetee can be called a film, seeing as it's a series of "photo roman " style shots.

But isn't there one shot in La Jetee where something moves - the woman blinking, isn't it?
Just because a film doesn't follow traditional cinematic conventions doesn't negate that it is still consumed as 'film'.

Has anyone seen "Sanma no aji" aka "an autunm afternoon"?
It's a Yasujiro Ozu movie that I was meant be watching tonight, but I didn't feel like sitting through a two hour long minimalist hell.
If anyone has seen it, please let me know if you liked it and if I should give it a go, I need to watch it before Thursday morning in time for my seminar.

Last edited:
This thread reeks of elitism ... :rolleyes:

I like interesting films too, but some of the shit mentioned here is too pretencious for my taste...

One I loved a couple years ago was Swimming Pool don't know why, but just loved it a lot.....

keep on .......

what is elitist about liking certain movies?

i like german expressionist films, italian neorealist films, french new wave films, and films made under the dogme 95 rules.

i also like action movies, broad comedies, splatter movies, and disney cartoons.

people like certain movies. start a thread about zoolander and i'll talk about it.

This thread reeks of elitism ... :rolleyes:

I like interesting films too, but some of the shit mentioned here is too pretencious for my taste...

One I loved a couple years ago was Swimming Pool don't know why, but just loved it a lot.....

keep on .......

What's so elitist about it?
You either like art films or you don't. I do and so do other people on this forum.

i will. first though i've gotta go get (more) drunk with a friend i haven't seen in about 15 years.

Tags
awwww brown nose
Back
Top Bottom