The Official 2007 Cricket World Cup Thread. Sponsored by THE EMPIRE

Uncle Liam

The King Of The Mountain
Lets have everyones thoughts then.

Mathematically, yes.

As Croatia arent in it, I'm favouring Bermuda v Canada though.

If that fails, I'm just going to do what Beefy and Bob Willis tell me to do.

Not anymore he's not.

Proof: The way he laid into Harmison over "workrate" after he quit one dayers. No hippy would ever criticise anyones "workrate". It goes against their whole ethos.

He's never got around to it because he's too busy telling everyone how shit everything is and how it was much better in his day. And you know what? He was right dammit!

Fancy coming over to Zagreb, see if we can get a game?

My new goal in life: to represent Croatia at Cricket.

I think we'll be Dark Horses in the 2015 world cup . I'll be 32 and in my prime.

I, like the bookies, believe that Australia will win. However I do think this world cup is more open than the previous two. Any of the top 8 teams could win it.

Australia 2
S/Africa 4.5
West Indies 7
Sri Lanka 7
England 8
India 8
N/Zealand 8
Pakistan 11

I was confused for a second by 4.5, but then I realised it was 9/2.

Realisticly, you still have to say it'll be the Aussies, but of course they're not exactly in the best of form going into it.

I think it'll be much clearer after the first round of matches.

Realisticly, you still have to say it'll be the Aussies, but of course they're not exactly in the best of form going into it.

They are the strongest team. Even after Australia lost half a dozen games in a row before the world cup, my bookie never changed their odds. 2:1 the whole time. The bookies usually know best.

As for the other contenders, though South Africa are ranked number one in the world at the moment, their style of cricket is not suited to the low/slow wickets of the Caribbean. SA are extremely difficult to beat on fast tracks. They're a vastly poorer team on slow wickets.

West Indies rely too much on Gayle and Lara. If Gayle fires, you've got to play out of your skin to beat them, but there are lots of failures for every swashbuckling run-a-ball century. Probably not enough depth to win.

Sri Lanka maybe. Muri is going to a nightmare on those pitches. They have lots of good players without relying on stars. Vaas, Slinga Malinga, Atapattu, Sangakkara, Dilshan, Juyasuriya etc. They were 14:1 when they won in 96. Worth a small wager.

England has some great individual players, but they just can't get their shit together as a team. They'll easily win a game against the world number one or two, and then follow up the next week with 120 all out (after been 119/1).

India and Pakistan, more "probably not" than "possibly so". Neither are playing particularly good cricket at the moment, but the pitches are going to suit all the sub-continent teams.

New Zealand are a good outside bet. Consistent bowlers, very good on those types of wickets, and a dangerous middle order. They always seem to rise to the occasion of the World Cup. That Oram cat hits the ball further than just about anyone in world cricket.

Scotland have no chance. Grim is not in their team.

Anyway I'm probably rambling to myself. So good night, and thank you.

His spirit resonates across the entire tournament.

Ladies and Gentleman, Boys and Girls, Children of all Ages, the Empire proudly brings to you, its pick for outstanding contributor to the Cricket Championship tournament of the worrrrrrrrld...

Simon Taufel:

SimonTaufel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom