The new Photography thread

just read in the morning newspaper that they have an anton corbijn exhibition in hamburg's bucerius forum going on called the living and the dead. ill probably go there this week to cool down and stay excited. they also show some of his movies at the beginning of august during an open air festival on the town hall market.
sounds very good. i've always been a fan of black and white expressionism. maybe there will also be some of his morrissey photos on display
View attachment 45146
Oh Hamburg, people are in shock online over the state of that place. Smells of piss as well they say.
Go there and get enriched!

Always thought it was nice of the Chinese authorities to frequently have so much stuff labeled in English, however
A6DC56FF-B2A9-4495-977C-2FA94C58F8C4.jpeg

Sometimes they could do with better translators, especially before mass producing items like these vests for bomb sniffing dogs that you saw all over the place at checkpoints and airports

this is manfred, the roofer, who starts repairing the roof opposite my window every morning at 6:30.
View attachment 45205
the first thing he does is hanging up a portable radio in a hook next to my open window that i had applied for the bird feeder in winter. he turns it up full volume to listen to the greatest hits of the 80s till today.
View attachment 45206
meanwhile i lie under my stone with a cool towel on my belly waitin to get some rest which seems impossible this summer, with the heat and the newly born next door. manfred likes the icecream that i hand outside once in awhile as temperatures can go up to almost 50 degrees celcius inbetween the roofs, i was told. so i dont want to change places with him
hello Manfred! I see you!!
oh lanterns what a unique situation. at first I was like "wow that must be so uncomfortable and annoying to have him outside your window so early in the morning. what if he's looking in? and does he have to play his radio so loud? attaching it to your bird feeder hook no less!". then I read about how it can get up to 50 degrees between buildings and I was like "poor Manfred, he's just doing what he can to beat the heat and make the best of the situation. and how good of lanterns to give him ice cream. just like lanterns to take care of the things in her yard!"
well hopefully it cools down for you soon lanterns. we've been having a heat wave here too, but it hasn't been SO bad, and it's supposed to cool down a bit by next week. tell Manfred I said hi!

7B091F19-8FEA-4F96-B5C8-9A5E57BFAC99.jpeg

Car in China, not police car, thankfully, though there is an honesty to it, couldn’t get away with saying it that in Chinese letters, always wanted to meet whoever’s car this was, but never did, shoulda staked it out :rolleyes:

hello Manfred! I see you!!
oh lanterns what a unique situation. at first I was like "wow that must be so uncomfortable and annoying to have him outside your window so early in the morning. what if he's looking in? and does he have to play his radio so loud? attaching it to your bird feeder hook no less!". then I read about how it can get up to 50 degrees between buildings and I was like "poor Manfred, he's just doing what he can to beat the heat and make the best of the situation. and how good of lanterns to give him ice cream. just like lanterns to take care of the things in her yard!"
well hopefully it cools down for you soon lanterns. we've been having a heat wave here too, but it hasn't been SO bad, and it's supposed to cool down a bit by next week. tell Manfred I said hi!
I just wanna know what Manfred does with Lanterns when it gets really hot.

thanks, rifke, for being so considerate and sympathetic to people you hardly know and show an interest in situations probably unknown to you. not many people are capable of that. i am glad to report that we had a refreshing rain fall today. it lasted for 40 minutes and now people are on the streets playing and dancing to disco music of the 70s, what else would be suitable?, to celebrate life and enjoy the fresh air. tomorrow it will be again 35 degrees celsius, so the joy is not going to last long. i hope you will also experience some relief soon! i'll let manfred know you said hi. as it is the weekend, he wont get another ice cream before monday.
oh how nice! summer rains are the best! so refreshing. alas, no rain in sight for us. but its only been getting up to about 28 degrees here--hot for us, but not as bad as your 35 degrees.

also, ive been meaning to ask you how you got the confidence to go into the sex club? I could never do that, even if I wanted to (which I don't). I would feel so awkward! were you alone? do you like places like that? when I read your post I thought of isabelle Huppert in the piano teacher, boldly and unflinchingly (is Isabelle Huppert ever otherwise?) renting a booth in the sex shop to watch dirty movies while the men waiting nudged each other at the sight of her amongst them. not judging you at all, I genuinely just find it curious and interesting--just as I found the scene in the piano teacher--and wish that I had that same aplomb.

Last edited:
thanks for mentioning the piano teacher, rifke. i just found out that it is indeed a michael haneke film that i dont know yet. i'm definitely going to see it, that is, if my mother allows me to.
the first time i went to a place like that was after watching a tomas cruise film, i think it was a sequel to mission impossible. i had been watching it with someone i once knew quite well and we both felt completely de-spirited after the movie, flat and insubstantial like a dough that had been sent through an electric noodle roller. i was told that this is exactly what hollywood wants you to feel.
this person was convinced that the only way to heal ourselves from this feeling of vapidity was to look at human flesh, so he recommended a strip club, and as i am always open to see new places and acquire experience, i agreed to join him. i didnt feel awkward there but noticed that there were mostly younger business men or bankers having a beer. this made me feel a bit estranged. well, what else can i say, but that i fell asleep after ten minutes or so and i woke up to one of the ladies on the stage wagging her behind or breasts in my face. i was later told by my company that it is indeed considered to be extremely impolite not to watch closely and give signs of approval to the ladies at regular intervals. i'm just tellin you, so that you know that there are certain rules which need to be adhered to. it's a very sensitive environment, even worse than in a disco, and if just one person does not behave according to expectations, the whole house of cards collapses immediately.
oh lanterns you're such an interesting person! you make me almost want to go to a strip club just for the experience.
and yes, you must see the piano teacher! it's my favourite isabelle Huppert film, possibly my favourite Michael haneke film--it's between that and funny games anyway (tough one, because funny games does have sexy Austrian (is there any other kind?) Arno Frisch). the ending is amazing, that stony faced side long glance she gives after she does what she does, so good. I want to read your review on it once you've seen it!

oh lanterns you're such an interesting person! you make me almost want to go to a strip club just for the experience.
and yes, you must see the piano teacher! it's my favourite isabelle Huppert film, possibly my favourite Michael haneke film--it's between that and funny games anyway (tough one, because funny games does have sexy Austrian (is there any other kind?) Arno Frisch). the ending is amazing, that stony faced side long glance she gives after she does what she does, so good. I want to read your review on it once you've seen it!
798B632B-D4F5-4445-A5F8-DB10F967084C.jpeg

F1086110-4FA9-4C4B-9D0C-1475B6483E7B.jpeg

Industrial decay is kind of my jam :blushing: this is an old concrete factory I lived near for a while in China, it was being torn down to make way for Western style houses. I wanted to get a photo of that some of before it happened, in part because there were protests at it, peaceful ones, filled with old people. Seems it had been built and operated by intellectuals forced out of their jobs during the “cultural revolution” it’s not that they didn’t want it torn down, but the desire was that some sort of rememberance be made and they got one. The new housing tract area will be named after one their leaders who died working there, also, it will speak of how they had the highest output of any plant their size. This was a very important point to these old academics turned industrial works now old pensioners. I ask myself, could the same be said about most Western intellectuals should a similar fate befall us and frankly, I find us wanting. China has many faults, but the people, the people are truly wonderful...

View attachment 45282
Industrial decay is kind of my jam :blushing: this is an old concrete factory I lived near for a while in China, it was being torn down to make way for Western style houses. I wanted to get a photo of that some of before it happened, in part because there were protests at it, peaceful ones, filled with old people. Seems it had been built and operated by intellectuals forced out of their jobs during the “cultural revolution” it’s not that they didn’t want it torn down, but the desire was that some sort of rememberance be made and they got one. The new housing tract area will be named after one their leaders who died working there, also, it will speak of how they had the highest output of any plant their size. This was a very important point to these old academics turned industrial works now old pensioners. I ask myself, could the same be said about most Western intellectuals should a similar fate befall us and frankly, I find us wanting. China has many faults, but the people, the people are truly wonderful...
This is one of my weekend or road trip activities. I absolutely love walking around urban ruins. Sometimes it can be pretty scary if you pick the wrong place, but something about former places of bustling industry abandoned to the elements has always done it for me. Basically any kind of beautiful decay has always drawn me.

I wish we had places like that here! I want to explore some ruins! I like exploring tooooooooo :( they don't call me dora the explorer for nothing you know! I lied, nobody calls me that.

This is one of my weekend or road trip activities. I absolutely love walking around urban ruins. Sometimes it can be pretty scary if you pick the wrong place, but something about former places of bustling industry abandoned to the elements has always done it for me. Basically any kind of beautiful decay has always drawn me.
Always here for ya!

It's my life to ruin my own way.

View attachment 45282
You share that with the swedish electronic band The Mobile Homes but they always went to Germany and the Ruhr area for inspiration ahead of a new album.

Back
Top Bottom