The new Morrissey song, 'Scandinavia'...

It strikes me had they recorded this plus Action and one other for Janice Long then the reception (and other things) may have been very different.

An album of dark, twisted, moody songs like this would certainly be an interesting direction to take. Great lyric.

Speaking as a non-believer (in organised religion) it occurs to me that Moz seems to be doing a lot of god bothering these days - his standard reply recently to questions about whether he has found religion is "it (catholisism) never leaves you/you can't escape it" which seems like a bit of a dodge - am pretty sure he used to just say no - which leads me to think there is now something to dodge/hide i.e. he has recently found faith - which i find slightly tiresome. i especially like the new song "people are the same" but then the creator line makes me cringe...

Speaking as a non-believer (in organised religion) it occurs to me that Moz seems to be doing a lot of god bothering these days - his standard reply recently to questions about whether he has found religion is "it (catholisism) never leaves you/you can't escape it" which seems like a bit of a dodge - am pretty sure he used to just say no - which leads me to think there is now something to dodge/hide i.e. he has recently found faith - which i find slightly tiresome. i especially like the new song "people are the same" but then the creator line makes me cringe...

Smiler by any chance did you name yourself after the ill-fated character in the book "You Can't Win"? Because if you did, that's awesome.

Anyway I think the creator line -which bugged me at first too, until I thought about it- is just another way of referring to himself as a cosmic mistake. I actually think it's a good line.

I definitely don't think he's become religious; that Catholic line you referred to was just his way of saying that such a stern, morbid upbringing stays with you, for better or worse, even when you try to shrug it off.

Anyway even if he is embracing some sort of spiritual yearning, it's probably just the result of getting older and realizing he won't be here forever. I think that's a natural, personal journey and I wouldn't begrudge him that.

"Scandinavia' reminds me of "Sppedway" and all that Vauxhall era.
I think the new album will be wonderful.

I'm seeing these really intense signs lately, it's kinda blowin' my mind. "Scandinavian" sounds alot like "San Diegan." I recommend that anyone who lives in the San Diego area google your name and Morrissey's because I think he's looking for you. He views you as honest and kind and he wants to hear from you. :rofl:

"I entered nothing and nothing entered me
Til you came with the key and you did your best but
As I live and breathe, you have killed me, you have killed me
Yes, I walk around somehow, but you have killed me, you have killed me"

Obviously about AIDS...

Gee, and here I thought it was about finally having good sex with a douchebag who dumped him. ;)

I'm really liking the sound of this, musically and lyrically it's more complex than the other newer tunes.
Obviously not as anthemic as the other newies but better for it

I'm really liking the sound of this, musically and lyrically it's more complex than the other newer tunes.
Obviously not as anthemic as the other newies but better for it

Oh yeah, the other new songs are real "anthemic"...as long as you like really bland anthems.

Which I suspect you do.

They're big and brash with an instantly recognisable/simple melodic vocal in the chorus...
I certainly think they're ''anthemic''.
I never said whether they were good or not, and I agree with you, apart from ''Action'' (which basically is almost a reprise of ''I'm throwing my arms around Paris'') what we've heard so far isn't amazing.

Pat on the back for knowing my music tastes inside out, from 6 posts on an internet forum, (this one being the first about music) though!

When I think , guys like you that are in front computer all day, writing Nonsense and TRUE FANS WHO HAVE EVER ATTENDED a concert , NOW they CAN NOT! I THINK , they suffer less than YOU if this SITE is closed !!!

Jeez, I check in on Solo and all hell has broken loose: DavidT's been banned for life, Morrissey's been mauled by a dog, the press is piling on, and I'm thinking that things are very, very depressing in Morrisseyland.

Then I hear this:

Part of it, as of 12 minutes ago:

THIS is what I want out of Morrissey: very strong vocals and interesting lyrics all wrapped up in a torch song. That's all Morrissey has to do: just write and sing good songs.

More please. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i cannot comment on the sound quality as the computer im using has no soundcard bu here is a slightly longer version

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like this song, it's one of my favourite post-comeback songs already. If this and AIMMN made it onto the album and PATSE and TKAL didn't, it could be an exceedingly strong album. We can only hope that there is more in the tank of this nature.

P.S. maybe PATSE could make it as a bit of a 'break' from the slower songs, but I still find it pretty crass and blunt (and not in a good way).

Am I the only one who has mixed feelings about the lyrics? "I despise each syllable in Scandinavia"? "I would eat the soil"? "Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia"? Underwhelming. Then again, I do like the rest of it.

Back
Top Bottom