The new David Bret book - I have it right here

U

Uncleskinny

And on a brief flick through it looks very good indeed. It is a chronicle of Morrissey's solo career, and the author appears to have interviewed everyone around Moz apart from the man himself. Tons of interesting stuff - especially about Jake. I'll read it over the next couple of days, but my missus, who has been off work today, read it in one sitting and said it was surprisingly good.

More later,

Sk.

P.S

The new Songs That Saved Your Life 'updated and revised' appears to have had a whole section removed - the bit about the recordings with Ivor Perry. Odd.

P.P.S

As an AOL user, I'll try to rip the Reading sessions.

> Amazon.com don't have it, but Amazon.co.uk do have it, see the link.

> Sk.

Thanks. How much is 14.67 in euro dollars?

> Amazon.com don't have it, but Amazon.co.uk do have it, see the link.

> Sk.

Sorry. Meant to ask in US dollars

> Thanks. How much is 14.67 in euro dollars?

£7.69=$13.75

I got sent it today, too.

So far haven't seen anything I didn't know - except, um, Morrissey's address in LA! I remember there were people wrangling over it on here a while back....well, it's out there now for everyone to see.

Lots of stuff about Jake. But also a lot of stuff that seems misquoted/slightly inaccurate somehow.

> And on a brief flick through it looks very good indeed. It is a chronicle
> of Morrissey's solo career, and the author appears to have interviewed
> everyone around Moz apart from the man himself. Tons of interesting stuff
> - especially about Jake. I'll read it over the next couple of days, but my
> missus, who has been off work today, read it in one sitting and said it
> was surprisingly good.

> More later,

> Sk.

> P.S

> The new Songs That Saved Your Life 'updated and revised' appears to have
> had a whole section removed - the bit about the recordings with Ivor
> Perry. Odd.

> P.P.S

> As an AOL user, I'll try to rip the Reading sessions.

So about Jake...
got a scanner?
Get Busy! LOL!

> I got sent it today, too.

> So far haven't seen anything I didn't know - except, um, Morrissey's
> address in LA! I remember there were people wrangling over it on here a
> while back....well, it's out there now for everyone to see.

> Lots of stuff about Jake. But also a lot of stuff that seems
> misquoted/slightly inaccurate somehow.

No scanner, I'm afraid! Nothing that modern or complicated round here. Us blondes get easily confused. There's not really anything in there about Jake that can't be found somewhere on the Internet. It does mention this photo of them getting into a car or something that I've never seen and couldn't find on the web. I have noticed one or two convenient omissions/misquotes in it.

Don't suppose anyone has heard a version of 'I'd Love To' that goes "Gay, I lay awake and I cried because of ways I'd love to"....instead of "Again
I lay awake and I cried because of waste", which appears on the Burglary Years. I saw this mentioned in the Bret book.

Easy Rider's on telly in a minute so after I've dribbled all over Peter Fonda in his carnivorous leathers I shall be retiring to my bed with the David Bret book. I can get back to you in the morning, hopefully enlightened.

> So about Jake...
> got a scanner?
> Get Busy! LOL!

Perry bits

> P.S

> The new Songs That Saved Your Life 'updated and revised' appears to have
> had a whole section removed - the bit about the recordings with Ivor
> Perry. Odd.

Got mine at weekend. Actually it looks like it has Perry bits remmoved but if you read the epilogue it's all in there, plus more about what happened between Morrissey and Stephen Street making Viva. I'd never heard of a Morrissey song called 'Lifeguard On Duty' before which supposedly goes "lifeguard lifeguard save me from life". Funny story about Craig Gannon and the Wolverhampton bus too.

No, I've never heard that lyric change 'Gay, I lay awake and...', how very interesting..anyone reading this have any info?
No also to the picture of moz/jake getting into a car..I have a few pics of jake but not that one.
I'm in N. America so don't have access to this book.
Please add tid bits.
Thank you.

> No scanner, I'm afraid! Nothing that modern or complicated round here. Us
> blondes get easily confused. There's not really anything in there about
> Jake that can't be found somewhere on the Internet. It does mention this
> photo of them getting into a car or something that I've never seen and
> couldn't find on the web. I have noticed one or two convenient
> omissions/misquotes in it.

> Don't suppose anyone has heard a version of 'I'd Love To' that goes
> "Gay, I lay awake and I cried because of ways I'd love
> to"....instead of "Again
> I lay awake and I cried because of waste", which appears on the
> Burglary Years. I saw this mentioned in the Bret book.

> Easy Rider's on telly in a minute so after I've dribbled all over Peter
> Fonda in his carnivorous leathers I shall be retiring to my bed with the
> David Bret book. I can get back to you in the morning, hopefully
> enlightened.

Come on guys...

Is there anything new or uncovered in this book, or is it just a regurgitation of things we all have eaten and digested years ago? In other words: is it worth it?

Pic

I think I have that photo, it was on Q, in that article published before Vauxhall was released. It's simply Walters opening the car on his side and Moz standing on the other side.

Re: Come on guys...

> Is there anything new or uncovered in this book, or is it just a
> regurgitation of things we all have eaten and digested years ago? In other
> words: is it worth it?

Anything new? Well I've been flicking through a lot but have started reading through and am over halfway. Loads of Marr quotes on most songs throughout, muso things like Morrissey wanting the sound of a lift shaft on Rubber Ring and how they went about doing it. The chapter on How Soon Is Now is totally different, as is Hand In Glove. Lots more lyric steal stuff too, it's quite amazing how much Morrissey took.

Is it worth it? I'd say that if you ALREADY knew that the lyrics of Shoplifters feature a steal from Joni Mitchell, that Andrew Paresi and Morrissey wrote a song called Angie about Johnny Marr's wife, what James Maker said on stage in French at the first gig and why the Amanda Malone record was never released, then you obviously don't need it. But if you didn't know any of these things then get it cos there's loads of bits not in the last one. And a really good apendix about the sleeves.

What pix of Jake do you have? I have seen the one of him being throttled by Moz in boxing gloves, and the one of Moz having a kip on his lap. I'm so nosy.

Is it not being published in America? Can you order it off Amazon.co.uk?

I just wondered if someone could verify the 'Gay, I lay awake' lyric because flicking through the book Bret seems to have wilfully misinterpreted/misquoted more than a few things....

Ill get back proper when I've read the whole thing.

> No, I've never heard that lyric change 'Gay, I lay awake and...', how very
> interesting..anyone reading this have any info?
> No also to the picture of moz/jake getting into a car..I have a few pics
> of jake but not that one.
> I'm in N. America so don't have access to this book.
> Please add tid bits.
> Thank you.

This one?

jake.jpg

Re: This one?

Thank you, yeah, I guess that's the one. I have yet to see a photo where you can see Jake's face......serves me right for being so bloody nosy, I s'pose. Ta.

Back
Top Bottom