The new cooking thread

I’m drinking vodka with ginger Pepsi as we speak, surely that must be a contender, I’m really forcing the vodka vote tonight as it’s school hols next week thank goodness
There’s that ginger Pepsi again. I’ve got to find some somewhere. Or I’ll have to make my own ginger simple syrup or something.

So this
D65AE188-DF9C-4235-B5AA-69F740FEFECA.jpeg

Plus this
ECD12AAA-A3D1-485D-9950-243E52A93EF0.jpeg

Equals this
661A5440-1641-46EF-BC5B-2D1177A65F28.jpeg

In the Pink Lady Cobbler world

I would have given nearly anything last night to have cut into this while it was hot. The whole house smelled of it. Will take final pic once it’s served and share recipe as well.

Be sure to save room! Thanks for the idea! I think it’s going to be a hit. When I told my mother what I was bringing, she got pretty excited. She said the closest this group ever gets is a grocery store apple pie. Gross, right?!

Very gross. Wish I had been there when it was baking. I think the elders will love it. It is soft and not spicy and comforting. Perfect.

Very gross. Wish I had been there when it was baking. I think the elders will love it. It is soft and not spicy and comforting. Perfect.
All that and I think it’s a little healthier than most desserts with all those apples and the oats. I’m getting myself all worked up again. The need is real!

i wouldn't get too excited about the apple pie, realitybites. she'll say she's going to save you some, but she wont really. im onto her tricks now, and you oughtta be too.

also, whats wrong with grocery store apple pie?!

i wouldn't get too excited about the apple pie, realitybites. she'll say she's going to save you some, but she wont really. im onto her tricks now, and you oughtta be too.

Too sweet. The crust is dense, dry, hard and not flaky at all. And there is no love in it.

LEMON FREEZE

upload_2019-2-17_21-34-8.png

Back in the 70s, our lovely neighbour Dorothy gave my mother this recipe. It has come in so handy over the years! It's an intensely tangy lemon ice cream with a sweet crunchy base/topping - really easy to make and utterly delicious. Unlike most home-made ice creams, there's no churning or mashing involved: just pour into a loaf tin, freeze, and pudding is sorted!

Ingredients
2oz cornflakes, crushed
2oz caster sugar + 1oz caster sugar
2oz melted butter
2 eggs, separated
7 fl oz condensed milk
¼ pint double cream
Juice and finely grated rind of 2 large lemons

1. Butter a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and sides with foil.

2. Combine the cornflakes, melted butter and 1oz caster sugar, then press half the mixture into the base of the tin. Put the remaining half of the mixture to one side and put the tin in the freezer.
upload_2019-2-17_21-42-28.png

3. Combine the eggs yolks, condensed milk and cream with an electric whisk. Add finely grated lemon rind and lemon juice, then beat for a few minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Whisk in 2oz caster sugar and fold gently into the lemon mixture, then pour into chilled tin.

5. Sprinkle the remaining cornflake mixture on top, then cover with foil and freeze for several hours, preferably overnight. Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before eating; turn out on to a plate, peel off the foil and slice to serve.

upload_2019-2-17_21-38-31.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-17_21-41-35.png
    upload_2019-2-17_21-41-35.png
    570.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Hey now! I don’t like you questioning my honesty. Especially when it’s already been established that your neighbor has been stealing your care packages just like he’s snatching your frocks. Why does this keep pointing back to me when it’s so clearly his crime? It’s not like I’m in cahoots with him. Geez!

LEMON FREEZE

View attachment 47736

Back in the 70s, our lovely neighbour Dorothy gave my mother this recipe. It has come in so handy over the years! It's an intensely tangy lemon ice cream with a sweet crunchy base/topping - really easy to make and utterly delicious. Unlike most home-made ice creams, there's no churning or mashing involved: just pour into a loaf tin, freeze, and pudding is sorted!

Ingredients
2oz cornflakes, crushed
2oz caster sugar + 1oz caster sugar
2oz melted butter
2 eggs, separated
7 fl oz condensed milk
¼ pint double cream
Juice and finely grated rind of 2 large lemon

1. Butter a 2lb loaf tin and line the base and sides with foil.

2. Combine the cornflakes, melted butter and 1oz caster sugar, then press half the mixture into the base of the tin. Put the remaining half of the mixture to one side and put the tin in the freezer.
View attachment 47739

3. Combine the eggs yolks, condensed milk and cream with an electric whisk. Add finely grated lemon rind and lemon juice, then beat for a few minutes until the mixture is thick and creamy.

4. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Whisk in 2oz caster sugar and fold gently into the lemon mixture, then pour into chilled tin.

5. Sprinkle the remaining cornflake mixture on top, then cover with foil and freeze for several hours, preferably overnight. Remove from freezer 10-15 minutes before eating; turn out on to a plate, peel off the foil and slice to serve.

View attachment 47737
That looks really amazing, Pep. I love lemony desserts as they always seem lighter than others. So refreshing looking.

Back
Top Bottom