The new Bowie album

I think it's a fairly good album, don't love any of the songs though other than perhaps where are we now.
his voice seems quite buried underneath the music too? maybe that's because he's older?
still think he sounds good though :)

7/10 I'd give it... Would like to hear more songs like Heat the final track, that one is pretty cool.

Was also wondering, does anyone like outside? i love that album but nobody else seems bothered! :o

Was also wondering, does anyone like outside? i love that album but nobody else seems bothered! :o
I like it a lot. Its concept definitely overshadows the music, but I think it's one of the most interesting albums he ever made. I truly believe that if it didn't have all those segues and the over-wrought crime novella thing going on, people would probably rank it with his best work.

Last edited:
I find the finished Outside is fatally compromised between the initial experimental crime concept and then the impulse to return to the studio and actually record some proper songs. It's certainly interesting, but too long and would have been better (as the above poster says) if the segues had been dropped altogether and it just consisted of the best 12 songs.

It's all a little too cold and detached for me, but there are some great tracks on there. And one of the best, Outside, is a co-write with Kevin Armstrong. The album is being discussed track by track on this great Bowie blog at the moment: http://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/

I never understood why so many love his music and I have never read or heard any fans explain why. I think he just become some sort of drug romanticism icon through the film "the kids from bahnhof zoo" and got away with quite bad songs by living on the song "Heroes". He is well known for being not very nice to deal with and he was so insecure in 1995 when he toured and had Moz as support that he had to cut Moz off earlier in his show cause Moz was more popular than Bowie who was the main act.

I was there myself at several gigs and like me most people walked out of the venue when Moz was over and left were these middle aged people and even some really old ones. I can't see anything cool at all in Bowie and even his style when it comes to clothes has always been awful. It is like he tried to be a dandy or something but failed miserably. I think many people liked him for his hair and not his songs to be honest.

Back
Top Bottom