The new album...will it happen?

Morrissey albums sell well if there is either a large gap since the previous one or there is at least one, and preferably two, brilliant singles (widespread critical acclaim makes some difference but not much - Your Arsenal is one of his poorest selling albums).
Both of these things happened with You are the Quarry which is his biggest ever selling studio album in the UK (Smith or solo) despite ranking about 8th or 9th out of the 13 albums in terms of quality (and in my opinion ranking 12th or 13th).
Morrissey is currently touting People Are The Same Everywhere (PATSE) as his best new song - he's played it more than all the others live and showcased it on TV.
I'm sorry but there is not a marketing team on Planet Earth that can achieve decent album sales if PATSE is the best thing on it.
Morrissey expects the kind of record deal that artists attract who sell half a million in the UK (as he almost did for YATQ). Trouble is, his subsequent albums sold 200,000 then 85,000. If PATSE really is as good as the new album gets, he'll be lucky to sell 50,000 and that's why he's not being offered a decent deal.
One of two things can happen to end the current stalemate. Morrissey becomes so keen/desperate to release a new album, that he accepts his low-selling status and signs a deal with a small indie label (probably meaning no physical singles, and limited sales outlets for the album).
Or he provides evidence that he has the two brilliant singles that he needs to achieve much higher sales than YOR. 'Action' is just about ok and would probably get playlisted on Radio 2 but, if I worked for a record company, I'd want to make sure he had at least one other song that was considerably better up his sleeve. For what it's worth, I'm optimistic and I think a new album will come out in 2012 - I expect Morrissey will just swallow his pride and put it out on a small label...

Some of you people are crazy! Morrissey has unrealistic expectations for a record contract. That is why he is unsigned and will not put out an LP in the immediate future. How do we know?

Any record company - big or small - would love to sign Moz. He is what record execs dream of: A big name who can draw sizable crowds all over the world and comes with a built-in, sometimes fanatical, record-buying fanbase. He generates his own publicity for better or worse, does TV shows around the world, and is uniquely quotable.

Now, keeping those items in mind, I think we can pretty accurately guess that he is asking for more money than the companies are willing to pay. They want him (who wouldn't?) but can't afford him. I am willing to bet every single original Smiths single in my collection that this is the MAIN reason. There may be other reasons, but dollars to donuts it is his own perception of his value vs. the record company's opinion.

Wrong. It's the other way around, frankly, brain boy. Morrissey is not some quirky upstart, he's proven time and time again, he's a legend. Legends don't do what you're describing.

So why doesn't our "legend" have a record deal, "brain boy"?

Didn't know you spoke for the "big labels" and/or Morrissey as far as, "a deal that would satisfy him." What experience do you have with it? Surely, you are an expert. Perhaps you're unaware of the fact the the music industry has virtually, completely collapsed? The "business" if you will, heretofore known, is over. This is not Morrissey's fault, he doesn't have to do a damn thing, as he has stated before.

"The music industry has virtually completely collapsed?" I wasn't aware that the heart of a multi-trillion dollar international industry touting the expensive likes of Lady Gaga and Coldplay skipped a beat at your ignorant post. Morrissey never has and never will be a driving force in the sustenance or destruction of this industry, because he is past his prime and without interest in being a pop superstar. Nothing wrong with that - that's part of the reason we love him. Now, if you have trouble reading and need me to repeat myself, Morrissey is looking for a reasonably renowned label (or one with a defunct calling-card that he can resurrect) that will promote him as if he is putting out chart-topping material. Frankly, I don't want him putting out chart-topping material (even if that's what HE might want for some bizarre, inane reason), all of that is irrelevant. The fact is, he's NOT putting out chart-topping material, and he HASN'T been on hiatus for seven years, and from what we've seen so far of the new material, he is NOT going to be delivering an album worthy of the immense promo push "Quarry" had.

Can you name one good artist that isn't difficult in one way or another? I can, they're people named Michael Bublé and Mark McGrath. The best artist ARE difficult and that's one of the reasons why they are so respected and liked. I suppose, if it were you, you'd bend to the big label's every whim, perhaps? Your ego must be fed by the public, right? Thank God Morrissey is not....erm....you.

Jesus..someone certainly gets his asshole clogged with three week old shit over this subject..
Morrissey is a diva. Nothing wrong with that. But when he's serving up material like "People Are the Same Everywhere" expecting labels to fight over it and package and sell it as if it's "Quarry," he's going to be without a deal. The proof? He doesn't have a deal.
And he wants one. Because he refuses to put one out without a label. Doesn't sound to me like the industry which you claim as "dead" needs Morrissey, sounds like it's the other way around, champ.
Putting a record out is about what's lucrative for the record company, not about treating a 52 year-old cult music icon how he may very well deserve to be treated for his past services to music. Get your head out of your ass.

Last edited:
Perhaps you have a problem with comprehension? And I quote....myself:

Why doesn't he have a record deal?

Perhaps you're unaware of the fact that the music industry has virtually, completely collapsed? The "business" if you will, heretofore known, is over.

Perhaps you're unaware of the fact that the music industry has virtually, completely collapsed? The "business" if you will, heretofore known, is over.

To put it simply, Morrissey has stated he wants a traditional record contract as he has had in the past. They...don't...exist...anymore... Why is this so hard to understand?

Last edited:
To put it simply, Morrissey has stated he wants a traditional record contract as he has had in the past. They...don't...exist...anymore... Why is this so hard to understand?

Probably because you're stating the obvious, which I've already laid forth in my previous posts in this thread, and it's hard to understand what relevance your pointless meandering previously addressed topics has. Morrissey wants what he cannot have. He is without a deal because of this. To get a deal and put his album out in any way he hopes to, he's going to have to jump through hoops. You're giving yourself herpes over semantics.

Probably because you're stating the obvious, which I've already laid forth in my previous posts in this thread, and it's hard to understand what relevance your pointless meandering previously addressed topics has. Morrissey wants what he cannot have. He is without a deal because of this. To get a deal and put his album out in any way he hopes to, he's going to have to jump through hoops. You're giving yourself herpes over semantics.

How much do you want to bet [cash money] he doesn't jump through any "hoops" as you say? He'll get what he wants, in the end, even if it's the idea of dangling his autobiography in front of the powers that be, in a package deal which is what will probably happen. I think it's clear that you don't get Morrissey, but that's my opinion. I would also guess that you don't get the Sex Pistols either, but you're still young. Also, I am free of herpes, boy.

We may have very well seen our last Morrissey album with Years Of Refusal, but somehow, I doubt it.

Maybe this will cheer you up, boy.

Last edited by a moderator:
There was quite a big promotional campaign for Refusal. Billboard posters, primetime TV appearances, press and radio interviews, "A-playlist" for the lead-off single

Sadly you can't polish a turd, particularly when two of the tracks had already been released as singles hence the album performed better than most in terms of everyone buying it one week and it then dropping like a stone in the album charts.

Can't see any future releases doing any better. The music industry has changed (unless you're Coldplay or Adele) Morrissey is 52, he's probably better off releasing a musical tie-in with his autobiography. A song per chapter, given away free with the Mail On Sunday

Everybody keeps going on about his age. Van Morrison still gets his ghastly whine out on CD's as does The Weller and I'm sure Bowie would be able to. Artistically there is no reason why the Moz should not be at his very peak!

As artists have to repay any advance out of sales I doubt money is a stumbling block. Unrealistic record company expectations such as insisting an established artist agrees to duet with a lesser known act on the same label can often be a problem. Also I believe Morrissey demands and deserves to be treated differently than other signings because he IS different and gives so much more than simply a recording of songs. He gives us his life. Expecting record company people, most of whom have no interest in music, just business, to understand any of this is folly. Expecting you dear reader to understand this is quite possibly my folly.
Happy Christmas.

I think he'll eventually release one more album and then hang up his Morrissey dancing shoes

the reason YATQ was so successful is because he'd dropped out of sight for nearly seven years and a new generation of bands and musicians cropped up in the interim proclaiming his influence. After three albums, the reverance of "Morrissey's back!" wore off and the public began taking him for granted again

The reason his "Greatest Hits", "Swords" and "Very Best of" records tanked is because he's mistaking his audience for fools who will and should buy anything he releases. But fans don't want to buy a meaningless greatest hits album of songs they already f***ing have, just to have to release another unnecessary comp only a few years later. It's like playing the lounge circuit in Las Vegas; people will show up for the nostalgic effect, but it just serves as a reminder that you're a fading icon

Just like when he released YATQ and then re-released it at the end of 2004 with nine additional b-sides. Fans don't appreciate that shit, so he shouldn't be bitching when his fans get tired of being ripped off over and over. I had that "extended" Moonriver for over a decade before he put it on Very Best of as cheap collector's bait

he needs to release his autobiography, and then disappear again for awhile. Crop up in three or four years with a new 12 song album and say "here it is, and THIS IS IT", tour the world one more time and then call it a day. Go out on a high note

not like the Cure, who say "This is it, we're done!" with each new record and then wind up playing full concerts of your past glories from 30 years prior a la the Reflections tour.

How much do you want to bet [cash money] he doesn't jump through any "hoops" as you say? He'll get what he wants, in the end, even if it's the idea of dangling his autobiography in front of the powers that be, in a package deal which is what will probably happen. I think it's clear that you don't get Morrissey, but that's my opinion. I would also guess that you don't get the Sex Pistols either, but you're still young. Also, I am free of herpes, boy.

We may have very well seen our last Morrissey album with Years Of Refusal, but somehow, I doubt it.

Maybe this will cheer you up, boy.

You do love talking as if you're old man, don't you? Bet it gets you all fired up, imagining yourself as a schoolteacher reprimanding a "boy" like me, eh?

Well, doesn't your theory of Morrissey "getting what he wants in the end" regardless of reality contradict your incredibly broad and equally ridiculous quote that "the music industry is virtually collapsed"?

If it gets you to sleep at night to believe that I don't "get" that you're wrapped up in an argument with yourself, far be it from me to impede you. Christ knows why you're bringing the Sex Pistols into this, they ended in 1978 and you're a fool if you think otherwise. You think you'd want to come up with a more relevant and less predictable example of 'sticking two fingers up' to the music industry, 'innit'?

he needs to release his autobiography, and then disappear again for awhile. Crop up in three or four years with a new 12 song album and say "here it is, and THIS IS IT", tour the world one more time and then call it a day. Go out on a high note

Wrong wrong wrong. He should continuously keep releasing and touring until he dies on stage one day, in the far and unthinkable and scary future.

Wrong wrong wrong. He should continuously keep releasing and touring until he dies on stage one day, in the far and unthinkable and scary future.

GG Allin kicks ass, doesn't he?

"....even as the follow-up to 'Years of refusal' grows less and less likely. End of subject. I promise."
This comes from TTY , posted only a few hours ago...Oh well
Cheers Moz

Don't lose faith.

I wont , I wont. Actually, I am dead sure that something will happen in 2012. He cant just let it go like that, he cant....
Cheers Moz

Of course, there will be a new album. At some point. Although hopefully it won't be a new album in the sense that Amy Winehouse has a new album out.

I think the autobiography should help. In fact, I think he should concentrate on promoting that when it comes out and then see what transpires.

Back
Top Bottom