The new album is 'ready' but what exactly does this mean?

Maurice E

Amidst the hullabaloo of the O-Leary interview, royal wedding comments etc, the fact that Morrissey has a new album ready appears to have been slightly overlooked. But what does 'ready' mean exactly?
That he has 'demoed' an album's worth of songs?
That an album's worth of songs have been properly recorded/produced? (surely not, we'd have heard who was at the controls etc).
Perhaps just that he's received 10 or so rough compositions off Boz/Alain/Jesse etc and he has enough words to make them into songs.
I'm not entirely sure what it means when songs have been demoed. Would he have needed to meet up with his songwriters/musicians?
Boz said that 2010 was a year off from Morrissey activity, and he seems to have been pretty busy this year so I can't see how they would have got together to work on any new stuff, altho perhaps that Adam Ant comment was true after all, and Boz denied it to throw us off the scent!
I'm hoping (perhaps a little optimistically) that, following the recent thawing of his relationship with Stephen Street, he might have suggested Street contributes a tune or two. There's a (somewhat predictable) rumour on the main board that one of the songs is a new Morrissey/Marr composition. I actually don't think that this would be quite as unfeasible as one might have previously assumed...

He said the same thing about YoR as well...it basically means he has an album worth of music and lyrics written & some demos to shop around to the labels...but nothing has been properly recorded.

Amidst the hullabaloo of the O-Leary interview, royal wedding comments etc, the fact that Morrissey has a new album ready appears to have been slightly overlooked. But what does 'ready' mean exactly?
That he has 'demoed' an album's worth of songs?
That an album's worth of songs have been properly recorded/produced? (surely not, we'd have heard who was at the controls etc).
Perhaps just that he's received 10 or so rough compositions off Boz/Alain/Jesse etc and he has enough words to make them into songs.
I'm not entirely sure what it means when songs have been demoed. Would he have needed to meet up with his songwriters/musicians?
Boz said that 2010 was a year off from Morrissey activity, and he seems to have been pretty busy this year so I can't see how they would have got together to work on any new stuff, altho perhaps that Adam Ant comment was true after all, and Boz denied it to throw us off the scent!
I'm hoping (perhaps a little optimistically) that, following the recent thawing of his relationship with Stephen Street, he might have suggested Street contributes a tune or two. There's a (somewhat predictable) rumour on the main board that one of the songs is a new Morrissey/Marr composition. I actually don't think that this would be quite as unfeasible as one might have previously assumed...

I'm just wondering when they start practicing for a tour? :squiffy: He said on FB today he's going into his studio to work on stuff in Portugal, don't they have to sit around and strum and stuff for a few weeks? I don't know how this whole band thing works. :D I mean, does he go onto the tabs section HERE to learn songs, or does Morrissey pull out a dusty tome from a crickety locked cabinet that has the music in it? My mind is wandering with these questions, much less the thought of a new album that's "ready."

Re:

I'm just wondering when they start practicing for a tour?
He said on FB today he's going into his studio to work on stuff in Portugal, don't they have to sit around and strum and stuff for a few weeks?
I don't know how this whole band thing works.
I mean, does he go onto the tabs section HERE to learn songs, or does Morrissey pull out a dusty tome from a crickety locked cabinet that has the music in it? My mind is wandering with these questions, much less the thought of a new album that's "ready."

Boz has nearly 30 years career as a professional musician, apart from Gustavo the Lads have worked together almost 4 years.
They don't need much time to get ready, I suppose.

Re:

The kind of music they play isn't hard but remembering all the parts would seem like something that might take time. I used to like that show on VH2 Bands Reunited. Those bands were able to do pretty well after a long time apart and very little practice. But some bands might practice for weeks before a tour. Those were edited tv shows though. Anyway, recordings from 1995 are very loose and sound great. I wish they sounded more like that.

Re:

Boz has nearly 30 years career as a professional musician, apart from Gustavo the Lads have worked together almost 4 years.

Especially when 90% of what he's gonna play has been played for the past 4 tours. Lol.

Re:

PS - They aren't "The Lads" anymore...

Re:

Exactly - when 4/5 of the band are Americans, I refuse to call them "lads"...and I'm American!

Yeah, it's more like The Lad. Lol. Three of them aren't even with the band anymore and haven't been for years.

Re:

Yeah, it's more like The Lad. Lol. Three of them aren't even with the band anymore and haven't been for years.

It's sort of just a term of endearment and an abbreviation for "Morrissey's current band," I think :p I know I still refer to them as "the lads" because it's just easier, and it has a nicer ring to it than "the band." To me, it's got nothing to do with their (or my) nationality. :guitar:

Re:

It's sort of just a term of endearment and an abbreviation for "Morrissey's current band," I think :p I know I still refer to them as "the lads" because it's just easier, and it has a nicer ring to it than "the band." To me, it's got nothing to do with their (or my) nationality. :guitar:

I kinda look at it with the same view I look at Axel Rose calling his current touring band Guns N Roses...

Re:

I sort of stopped using the term when Alain left and it was only Boz who remained from the Kill Uncle lineup but I think it's okay to use.

Amen on that '95 sound though. + Mikey on keyboards/support instruments and you're gold.

Re:

Ive always considered The Lads to be Alain Boz Gary and Spencer. After that it's just been the band. For me anyway.

Re:

He did say "very, vey soon", and that he has an album but not a label. When I first heard it I got really happy and hoped for a release during fall. That would be wonderful. But I'm getting a bit sceptical about it now, since it's probably "just" demos. Do you think we have to wait more than a year for a relase? Of course, it's depending on a lot of stuff hard to know aything about, like deciding label (if Major Minor and EMI isn't good enough after this latest failure in distributing).

Re:

He did say "very, vey soon", and that he has an album but not a label. When I first heard it I got really happy and hoped for a release during fall. That would be wonderful. But I'm getting a bit sceptical about it now, since it's probably "just" demos. Do you think we have to wait more than a year for a relase? Of course, it's depending on a lot of stuff hard to know aything about, like deciding label (if Major Minor and EMI isn't good enough after this latest failure in distributing).

2012 for a new studio album by my reckoning.

I do wish he would stop thinking that because the latest greatest hits package didn't sell it's the labels fault. By all accounts I thought the promotion of The Very Best Of was well done and in line with what I would expect for a compilation album of songs nearly 20yrs old. And while he is quick to skewer HMV he needs to realise that frankly, he just doesn't shift the way he used to. I was in FOPP in Glasgow today and was gladdened, then saddened to see a prominent rack of Glamorous Glue singles right at the front of the shop. The store is trying; the masses aren't interested.

As he alienates more and more labels I worry that he'll ever get another record deal as he's simply not a good option anymore.

Having said all that, IF his autpbiography is to be published in 2012 then I can see a record exec willing to sign him on the basis that a new record will pick up sales purely on the back of the book publicity.

And if the rumours are to be believed and Moz & Marr have collaborated - even for 1 song - then it's a guaranteed No.1 album for sure. Maybe only for a week. But it's guaranteed.

But I could be wrong and it might be in the bag already - who knows?

I'll tell you what. It's never dull being a Morrissey fan.

Re:

Surely someone as intelligent and aware as Mr. Morrissey knows that the music industry is dead as a dodo bird - it went extinct years ago. Yet, bless 'im, he continues to fret about chart positions (which are meaningless when no-talent creeps have #1 records selling a paltry amount) and record labels. "My talents do not lie in DIY." Then one hires someone who knows.

Moz is fortunate in that he's a popular touring artist: that's the way forward. It's sad that musicians and writers and creative ideas don't hold sway in the public sphere anymore. It's sad but it's happened.

Re:

If Morrissey were smart, he would release his new album and then at the same time release his autobiography with a copy of his album and lead single...that way he pretty much guarantees he has the #1 album, single, and book...all at once.

Re:

If Morrissey were smart, he would release his new album and then at the same time release his autobiography with a copy of his album and lead single...that way he pretty much guarantees he has the #1 album, single, and book...all at once.

:thumb:

But did his latest three albums sell bad, really? (Obviously Quarry didn't anyway). Except Swords, which isn't even a studio album, I've gotten the impression that all his latest albums sold fairly well. Of course, internet makes every CD sell less than it should, but that's the same for all.

Back
Top Bottom