The Never-Released Singles

Mr_Shankly

Singing his life
What do you think, is the most missed-out song at The Smiths/Morrissey career that should had been released as a single, but never did?

I would say: Handsome Devil and Jack The Ripper..

The Smiths

Still Ill
Nowhere Fast (it was originally set to be a single)
Cemetry Gates

Morrissey

Mute Witness
Glamorous Glue
Reader Meet Author
Nobody Loves Us

For me -

Smiths - Jeane, Well I Wonder, Stop Me If You Think....

Morrissey - Hairdresser On Fire, Jack The Ripper, Trouble Loves Me, Honey You Know Where To Find Me, Lost, Teenage Dad

Each to their own...

Peter

Well I Wonder

Nobody Loves Us

The Smiths: Handsome devil
Back to the old house
Half a person
Paint a vulgar picture

Morrissey: The never played symphonies
Lost
Trouble loves me
Reader meet author
Do your best and don´t worry
Spring-heeled Jim

Aly Panic said:
I Can Have Both

Shit! I forgot about that one! Did not Gavin & I boogie to that at one of your dos? Gutted I can't be there this week, have a jolly time.

Peter

Uncleskinny said:
Shit! I forgot about that one! Did not Gavin & I boogie to that at one of your dos? Gutted I can't be there this week, have a jolly time.

Peter

I think you should come along Brian Potter style, mind you wheelchairs and stairs are a bad mix!

The Smiths: Reel Around The Fountain
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before

Morrissey: I Don't Mind If You Forget Me
Seasick Yet Still Docked
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself?

Wasn't 'Stop Me' a single?

My choices would be:
"Still Ill"
and
"Pashernate Love"

Wasnt "Stop Me If You Think..." released as a single back in 1987, or was it released as a single only in some countries?

The Smiths:

"I Want The One I Can't Have"
"There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (in 1986, when it mattered).
"I Keep Mine Hidden"

Morrissey

"Hairdresser On Fire"
"Disappointed"
"Lost"
"Sing Your Life" (Live at KROQ version)

Mostly I think he (and Johnny) made great choices for singles in The Smiths. In his solo career, he released some oddities like "Ouija Board" and "Interlude" that still make me scratch my head.

"Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" was released as a single everywhere but in the U.K., where the BBC's fears about the "mass murder" line was going to keep it from getting airplay.

Fortunately in America we dig mass murder so I was able to buy a 7" of the single, with the stunning Murray Head picture sleeve which still remains one of my very favorite Smiths covers. I had to special order it from Sire through a local record store. When it arrived they scotch-taped my name to the back of the sleeve to reserve it for me behind the counter. As I handed the clerk the money to pay for it he peeled off the tape and tore a strip off the back. That slack-jawed barbarian-- I hope his cat got run over.

Aly Panic said:
I Can Have Both

It's a belter it is, but somehow i think Mozza wanted it hidden away on the flipside of a pulled single that few people bought.

Can you imagine the newsprint it would have generated if it were a single or even an album track? :eek:

I have a copy of the studio version of Jack the Ripper. In truth, I have two; one from my mother and one from a record store (in america). Does anyone know how much the CD can sell for?

Back to the topic...

I wish all of them were officially released on the albums.

Morrissey

You Must Please Remember
Seasick, Yet Still Docked
Lost :)

The Smiths

What She Said
Wonderful Woman
Rubber Ring

Uncleskinny said:
For me -

Smiths - Jeane, Well I Wonder, Stop Me If You Think....

Morrissey - Hairdresser On Fire, Jack The Ripper, Trouble Loves Me, Honey You Know Where To Find Me, Lost, Teenage Dad

Each to their own...

Peter

Stop me was a single. I have it on 12 inch:rolleyes:

Smiths:
Reel Around The Fountain
I Want The One I Can't Have
There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
You just Haven't Earned It Yet, Baby
Sweet And Tender Hooligan

Morrissey:
Alsatian Cousin
Hairdresser On Fire