The Moz virus (a.k.a. Mozzatitus)

I got my first taste of Moz in December 2003, when watching tv at night with a friend, I came across the videos of "The boy with the thorn in his side" followed by "There is a light..." (with the bikes), I immediatly knew something was going on, the next day I asked my dad if he had some Smiths material, he gave me the Best Of, first song was Panic, and that was it!

The cd did not leave the car for 6 months, and I started buying all the albums, then I started to buy the ones from Morrissey, first gig in Dublin / Xmas 2004...

I think there's no way out, this one is for life!:)

And the symptoms of the Mozzatitus are really well described!

I understand what you mean about the alpha male thing. That steely determination and reserved demeanour mark him out as the one figure in the public eye who's still truly messianic; you want to approach him in order to touch the hem of his garment, and yet, you dare not for fear he will spurn you for being unworthy :D

Also, I can't understand why the healthy people of this world see him as a static, boring figure; he might have had the same hairstyle for nearly 30 years, and his music is always recognisably his, but in terms of his interaction with the media and his fans, his image has changed more times than Madonna's.

Yes, he is a messianic figure who does not actually ask for anything, other than an enthusiastic audience, the purchase of an album or two and a place in our hearts forever. What a good deal that is. They say that the true judge of a person's character is how they handle power, and Morrissey is the most responsible pop star/cult leader/alpha male that I can think of. No groupies (that I've ever heard of), no alcoholism (ditto) or drug abuse, early to bed - the man is a big boy scout, relatively speaking. He seems to be a paragon of virtue and self-control which (to paraphrase Mr. Wilde) is a perversion in itself.

This really is the only time in my entire life that I have EVER been involved in anything like a cult of personality. Quite frankly, that's why I have tried to quit. This is just not me at all. And yet, I'm enjoying it immensely, not only because Morrissey is still mesmerizing, but because the people I've met over the last few years have been interesting, smart and just plain fun. This is one communicable disease that discriminates.

Some icons change their look, others change their sound - most go through the usual changes of marriage, children, etc. Morrissey is a fixed point, yet he changes the way we all do, with age. When I first fell back in with all this weirdness, I was surprised at how different Moz looked from the man I remembered, and then I was surprised at how he had not actually changed at all. He really is the same, underneath, as are we all. We continue to adore, he continues to be adored, and I think everyone concerned is pretty amazed that this madness continues to sustain itself, long past all expectations. This is one beautiful self-replicating virus.

:) :o :confused:

Back
Top Bottom