The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 9: AMERICA IS NOT THE WORLD

How do you rate America Is Not The World?

• Total voters
I think this song is underrated - i love the lyrics - especially the "in estonia" line

but also the change in bass line about half way through is fantastic

i gave it an 8

this is an underrated song. the lyrics ar beautiful, the production actually works excellently, it's a wonderful performance. ithink those who cant like this song are the ones who take it all too seriously- cant appreciate a line like "And I love yah, I just wish you'd stay where you is."

Something of a musical curate's egg.

I think the vocal performance is the best on the LP and the melody line is evocative but the backing reminds me too much of Suede's 'She's In Fashion' . The lyrics fall way below his best primarily because his grasp of politics has always been extremely simplistic. The Black/female/gay reference is pitiful and the belly bit is embarassing to type, let alone sing. Rammstein did a much better job of the same subject matter with 'Amerika'.

Still I gave it a 7 for the honeyed larynx.

Some of the worst lyrics that Morrissey has ever concocted. I'm also disappointed by the mildness of the sentiments in the song. Come on, Moz - get fired up! Really let Shrubya have it!!!

Melodically, it's pleasant enough but nothing special. A disappointing opener. 6.

Probably the best thing he ever wrote.​

um, seriously?

yeah bloody Americans:p
bushlaporte20nz.gif

hahahaha, pleeeeease dont lump us all together with THAT guy! we're not all like that, I swear! :(:p

don't swear, it's very un-lady like!

i217799416_75144_7.gif

darling, The Feeling have done better songs than this muck.

What a pile of Kok for someone to utter.

A pure utterance of Kok was that.

What a pile of Kok for someone to utter.

A pure utterance of Kok was that.

it's difficult to believe, i'll grant you, but it's true (and it isn't a compliment).

The sentiment is just and timely,...however, musically, it's one of his weaker pieces. I always skip past this one.

Back
Top Bottom