The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 85: I'LL NEVER BE ANYBODY'S HERO NOW

How do you rate I'll Never Be Anybody's Hero Now?

• Total voters
Quite a poor song. 5/10. Instantantly forgettable and drones on too much.​

This is a good song, and I love the "my love is under the ground" lyric, but on the whole I find this one to be a bit on the slight side. I'll give it a 7... on a good day, maybe an 8.

and again, the famous Comtesse & I voted the same [happens a lot]

[wonders what Miss/Mrs Despair has in mind for the future of her wardrobe, leave
it , or make it kinda updated]

Oh, I'll update it eventually... when life allows me.

Morrissey's vocal performance saves this song as the line about lights from the grand houses.... come on Moz we all know you've got a bit stashed away!!!

But that ad-lib at the end and seein him do it live. An 8

To me this became one of my favorite Morrissey songs ever... In a scale from 1 to 10... 11!!!!!!

The lyrics, his voice!! The highs... EVERYTHING... This sing could have been perfectly a single and I'm sure it would have ranked great... There was even a time when I played it in a loop :D Love love love it!! ... I'd love to sing a Spanish version of it... :D

It begins in the heart
And it hurts when it´s true
It only hurts because it´s true

Upon first hearing this I thought, not for the first time, "Bastard Morrissey is spying on me again!"

:o

It begins in the heart
And it hurts when it´s true
It only hurts because it´s true

Upon first hearing this I thought, not for the first time, "Bastard Morrissey is spying on me again!"

:o

It's one of those great self-deprecating lines that Morrissey can throw out so easily. It reminds me of the, "If you're so funny, then why are you on your own tonight?" verse from "I Know It's Over". Talk about an OUCH!

Alot of people try and tell me this is Morrissey in full croon mode, Sinatra-ish. I wish that were true, because that would be great to hear; unfortunately this doesn't deserve anything other than a 6 in my view. Like much of Ringleader, a delicously average affair.

I like this track a lot, but I don't play it that often. It has a reallly strong and unique Sinatra-meets-Orbison vocal.

The music has the same epic feel as Nobody Loves Us, and in some ways they're like two sides of a coin.

I've also wondered if the "one true love" under the ground is the same person as the subject of Girlfriend in a Coma.

It's a gorgeous song with a sky-tickling chorus melody! What's not to love? I gave it a 10 although would've gone 9.5 had the option be there.
The stuff about haves and have-nots is a bit simplistic and, frankly, a bit rich (pun intended) coming from a multi-millionaire, international, pop icon with £14 million pounds in the bank.

It has a reallly strong and unique Sinatra-meets-Orbison vocal.

I just wanted to thank you for that description. It's been nagging me whenever I hear the song "Who does he sound like at this part?" Now I know: Orbison!

Oh, and I think the song's OK. Nothing special but in usual Morrissey way, there's some amusing parts.

Back
Top Bottom