The Moz/Smiths Top 100,Part 8: AMBITIOUS OUTSIDERS

How do you rate Ambitious Outsiders?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100. And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.
Song for Today: AMBITIOUS OUTSIDERS.

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-7 so far (voting will remain open):
1) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating so far: 8,82
2) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,29
3) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,98
4) Alma Matters, rating: 7,78
5) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,37
6) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,24
7) All The Lazy Dykes. average rating: 6,21

Last edited:
I hate this song. Its clumsy lyrically, musically arcane, badly produced and Lost should have been Track 3 anyway. And I didn't even use another adverb!

I say 6.

It's nothing special, though I quite like the part with 'but don't UNDERESTIMATE us'.

6. Okay, nothing special.

Don't know what happened to me or my life, but this is second best song after Trouble Loves Me on THIS album. Gave it a 9, would have given a 10 if I knew it's unlovable..

probably shouldve given it a 7, but there's something about this song. its great to sing. overly dramatic? yeah, but so is a lot of Morrissey (not to this extent usually, but it's not off the chart). ilov the line "Well, it's your own fault for reproducing." unbelievably sinister. such a Morrissey line- recalls themes in "(I'm) The End Of The Family Line" and then later "Slum Mums." that's worth the 8 right there.

As an avowed child hater, I adore the lyrics, but I don't like the music or the melody very much at all. It reminds me of the equally loathsome "Asian Rut". I was always quite surprised that Moz got away with such a blatantly evil lyric, but I guess his stock was pretty low in 1997. I loved this song live, when the lights would cast his shadow against the back of the venue. Very powerful. But on record, I'd give this one a 6.

Back
Top Bottom