The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 67: I AM HATED FOR LOVING

How do you rate I Am Hated For Loving?

• Total voters
This song is kind of ok. A nice arrangement, an interesting lyric but it just seems to lack a strong melody (unlike, for example, 'Used To Be A Sweet Boy').
Haven't listened to it for yonks tho. The high scores you're all giving make me think it's time for are-appraisal!

Uninspired? It's just the right tune that does not overweight the lyrics, it flows hauntingly, soothingly, encapsulates the relentless words.

^^^^ yes

the music so perfectly sits alongside those vocals, and the vocals work so well with the lyrics. beautiful (9 for me)

I've never thought that much of it myself but my wife thinks it is the best song he has ever done. She's not really a fan but has come to like Moz a lot after she met me.

Beautiful song, with some of the most explicitly "gay" lyrics Mozzer has ever written. I love the music as well. A lovely song on a lovely album.

To me, this ranks alongside Sunbathers as one of the weaker songs on "Vauxhall". Given that albums strength, that's not entirely uncomplimentary, but it just doesn't reach out and rench the heartstrings like the rest of that record does. I have warmed to it more of recent, and it's definately a nice song to drive to on your own, but as I say, there is better stuff on Vauxhall than this. A 7.

Back
Top Bottom