The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 51: GLAMOROUS GLUE

How do you rate Glamorous Glue?

• Total voters
I'd give it a 7, but I gave "Girlfriend In A Coma" a 7, and I prefer the latter. I think my Moz scale is not the same as the Smiths' one, in a negative sense. :o

I just love this one!! *10*:D

I'll give this one a solid nine. This is a song that you have to see in the context with We'll Let You Know, the strongest song on the album, and The National Front Disco. Without any of them Your Arsenal would certainly not be what it became. And the last lines, as mentioned many times before, are incxredibly strong and almost carries the whole song itself. Too bad that I don't find the music the most appealing.

By the way, wasn't Glamarous Glue on the setlist, but dropped, on the first show on the 2002 tour?

I'll give this one a solid nine. This is a song that you have to see in the context with We'll Let You Know, the strongest song on the album, and The National Front Disco. Without any of them Your Arsenal would certainly not be what it became. And the last lines, as mentioned many times before, are incxredibly strong and almost carries the whole song itself. Too bad that I don't find the music the most appealing.

By the way, wasn't Glamarous Glue on the setlist, but dropped, on the first show on the 2002 tour?

Yes that is true. :)
Also Morrissey did once plan to play it later, on August 9th, 2002 in Phoenix. It was listed as a "floater" on the setlist but not played.

And I agree with you about the last lines being strong and almost carrying the whole song, I think the lyrics convey a lot of meaning through simplicity.

I agree! Although I do love the music:)

I agree! Although I do love the music:)

Music is good..but the lyrics like fatty leave much to be desired (in my opinion, at least)...I remember how fans in LA loved the "we look to Los Angeles" line...but I never cared for it...

Music is good..but the lyrics like fatty leave much to be desired (in my opinion, at least)...I remember how fans in LA loved the "we look to Los Angeles" line...but I never cared for it...

haha, I always thought that was a funny line.

haha, I always thought that was a funny line.

Yeah Funny...but reminds me of how Rock stars always try to rile up the crowd by refering to the the city they are playing too...I think Bono once said.."it's great to be here in Detroit, Ohio"

Along with Fatty...

Definitely the weakest track on Your Arsenal...

Didn't get carried over to Boxers Tour..and hasn't been heard from since...can't believe Sire considered releasing it as a single...You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side or National Front Disco would have been better choices...

I think it was in Phoenix 02, it was on the setlist as a standby song... so it almost came back. EDIT: Ok, I now see the other posts on this. It was specifically noted on the setlist that it was not part of the set.

If I had to guess, and there is nothing but my opinion here, it could have been to replace one of the new songs in case they weren't happy with them or the crowd.

Last edited:
I think it was in Phoenix 02, it was on the setlist as a standby song... so it almost came back.

perhaps....but I still think lyrically it and Fatty are the weakest Your Arsenal Tracks

Yeah Funny...but reminds me of how Rock stars always try to rile up the crowd by refering to the the city they are playing too...I think Bono once said.."it's great to be here in Detroit, Ohio"

BONO is one of the biggest idiots in the entire world ...

(i never miss an opportunity to offend him, thanx!)

I think it has potential, but the sound of the lyrics drone on for me.

It's a good album track, but nothing tremendously special. I've always found these lyrics to be one of Morrissey's most cryptic and least decipherable. I always thought he was singing "First day with a jaw you find, everyone lies" - and I figured the song was about politicians lying (ie. the jaw that moves the mouth that lies)... and then I found that everyone else interpreted it as "first day with a jar" and my theory fell apart. I suppose it could be "first day with ajar". Oh, who knows... Wish Moz had just included a lyric sheet with the album and cleared up the mystery!!! I give it a 7. A frustrated 7.

What's the "weakest" track on Your Arsenal? We should do polls about which songs are the weakest per album...I mean I can't give every song on Your Arsenal a 9 or a 10....and I think some are better than Fatty, We Hate It, Glamorous...The music on the album was killer but the lyrics on those three just didn't cut it for me

The weakest track on Your Arsenal is, without question, "You're The One For Me, Fatty". There is no debate, no debate, no debate...

Was listening to this on my drive in this morning. The slide guitar on this song rocks!

Back
Top Bottom