The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 38: DON'T MAKE FUN OF DADDY'S VOICE

How do you rate DON'T MAKE FUN OF DADDY'S VOICE?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: DON'T MAKE FUN OF DADDY'S VOICE

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic, perfect
9: Near classic, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The songs we've done so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

Part 1: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Part 2: A Song From Under The Floorboards
Part 3: A Swallow On My Neck
Part 4: Accept Yourself
Part 5: All The Lazy Dykes
Part 6: Alma Matters
Part 7: Alsatian Cousin
Part 8: Ambitious Outsiders
Part 9: America Is Not The World
Part 10: Ammunition
Part 11: Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Part 12: Asian Rut
Part 13: Ask
Part 14: Asleep
Part 15: At Amber
Part 16: At Last I Am Born
Part 17: Back To The Old House
Part 18: Barbarism Begins At Home
Part 19: Bengali In Platforms
Part 20: Best Friend On The Payroll
Part 21: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Part 22: Billy Budd
Part 23: Black-Eyed Susan
Part 24: Boxers
Part 25: Break Up The Family
Part 26: Cemetry Gates
Part 27: Certain People I Know
Part 28: Christian Dior
Part 29: Come Back To Camden
Part 30: Cosmic Dancer
Part 31: Dagenham Dave
Part 32: Dear God Please Help Me
Part 33: Death At One's Elbow
Part 34: Death Of A Disco Dancer
Part 35: Dial-A-Cliche
Part 36: Disappointed
Part 37: Do Your Best And Don't Worry

Interesting example of a so-so piece of music benefitting from a really imaginative arrangement, a bonkers lyric and a final chorus sung in Spanish!
I give it 8.

Last edited:

I'm not too keen on it...

DXS

Interesting example of a so-so piece of music benefitting from a really imaginative arrangement, a bonkers lyric and a final verse sung in Spanish!
I give it 8.

I gave it a 5.

The music does nothing for me. Lyrically, it's much better live when he sings "someone got stuck in his throat" but the big problem I have is the end.

When he says "papi" he pronounces it "pappy" but it should be "poppy".

Yall are harsh.
This is a great B-Side. I can see why it didn't fit into the rest of the Quarry album, but in itself, the song is a good solid 8. :)

Yall are harsh.
This is a great B-Side. I can see why it didn't fit into the rest of the Quarry album, but in itself, the song is a good solid 8. :)

I don't mean to be harsh. That's just my opinion. I don't want people to adopt it. I just like to explain why I vote a song poorly. When I vote a song high, like I did with Do Your Best and Don't Worry I don't really think too many people wonder why (except for the one person who voted DYBADW a 2. She might wonder.

Was so very dissapointed when he played this last when i saw him, its ok but its not what you want to hear last.

8 from me.

Really not one of my favourite’s but it’s the song that when I saw him live he reached out to me on the line, ‘when you’re young, you crave affection and it can come from the strangest directions’ so now that’s all I think of when I hear it and I can’t help but break out in a huge grin! Apart from that the lyrics have always confused me slightly.

really i only gave it as high rating as i did
cuz so many others seem to really like it :o
and really its just a song about a dad's voice sounding kind of weird
after he sucked too much c*ck
i think :confused:

really i only gave it as high rating as i did
cuz so many others seem to really like it :o
and really its just a song about a dad's voice sounding kind of weird
after he sucked too much c*ck
i think :confused:

That's my interpretation as well, which I don't care about, but compared to other Morrissey songs, it's not that clever and I don't care for the music much either. Probably my least favorite of all Moz songs.

But, I always vote before looking to see what other people say. I don't know many other Smiths/Moz fans, so I don't know which ones are generally better thought of than the others. It's an interesting surprise to see what others think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think its Moz commenting on his plce in the music world of the 21st century and obviously perpetuating the "is he gay" thang somemore

This is a 10 for me. Easily the best track from the Quarry era. It should have been his comeback single. Incredible.

It got silly and funny lyrics but somehow I don't find it treated as a such. Plus it's a bit to long, "Little Man, What Now?" length would have improved it.

Ah i gave it a 10! I think it is brilliant song. Yes the lyrics are a bit silly, but so what? It is one of those songs that sticks in your head.

Back
Top Bottom