The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 34: DEATH OF A DISCO DANCER

How do you rate Death Of A Disco Dancer?

• Total voters
omg, is there any song you haven't given a 10???

this song is so not a 10. theres very few Smiths song i dont like. this is one of them. i find it quite boring actually...

Have you given it time, and listened to it over and over again??

I used to think the exact same thing. But it grew on me, and most songs that do...they become one of my favorites!

Sometimes when I listen I can get involved. and find it a wondeous piece of prophetic, improvised music.
Other times I just can't and think it is veering very close to prog-rock territory.

So a 7 and a half, rounded up to an 8!

The Smiths most over-rated song according to John Peel!
Well, they may not have been his exact words but he claimed to be pretty baffled to see it so high in the 'Festive 50', apparently.
...and The Smiths most underrated song according to Simon Goddard! :D

I gave it a 9. Musically, one of The Smiths' most interesting, atypical songs. Obviously, this doesn't sit well with some people, who would have This Charming Man and There Is A Light That Never Goes Out 50 times, rather than something a bit different, something that people don't expect from The Smiths.

And, of course, the lyrics are brilliant. If only he would write anything nearly that good for the next album, instead of all those All You Need Is Me-s and That's How People Grow Up-s, not to mention the earlier I Knew I Was Next-s etc., which are decent but, to be honest, very, very predictable at this point... *stands and awaits backclash*

This song is a 7.

People who gave this 10 are probably the types that would say "Morrisseys sneeze on Interesting Drug changed the way we thought about sneezing and was crucial to the development of mankind in the 21st century."

or they just like the song?

Sometimes when I listen I can get involved. and find it a wondeous piece of prophetic, improvised music.
Other times I just can't and think it is veering very close to prog-rock territory.
Isn't that the standard "insult" that critics have been using in the post-1976 period? :p

Now I'm going to say something that sounds like complete heresy, particularly as it's coming from someone who's majorly into punk, but not all prog-rock is horrible...

I gave this song only a 7. Aaah. It was a mistake. I now love it. It's excellent.
I should stop voting songs when I still don't like them. It takes me much time sometimes to like a song.

This is one of those rare Smiths songs (like "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others" and "Barbarism Begins At Home") where I think that the music is better than the lyrics. Morrissey was being kinda lyrically lazy on much of Strangeways, but nowhere moreso than on this song. I love the bassline and I even love Morrissey charmingly clumsy "pianner playing" but the song still only rates a 7 from me.

Hmmm some very interesting comments. It's very different because there's no real melody to speak of and doesn't sound like anything else The Smiths ever did. It's not in The Smiths top twenty songs in my opinion. A 6 from me for an overrated song.

Perfect 10.

Just on the Pianist alone..:)

Beautiful Song.

Back
Top Bottom