The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 33: DEATH AT ONE'S ELBOW

How do you rate Death At One's Elbow?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: DEATH AT ONE'S ELBOW

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic, perfect
9: Near classic, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The songs we've done so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

Part 1: A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours
Part 2: A Song From Under The Floorboards
Part 3: A Swallow On My Neck
Part 4: Accept Yourself
Part 5: All The Lazy Dykes
Part 6: Alma Matters
Part 7: Alsatian Cousin
Part 8: Ambitious Outsiders
Part 9: America Is Not The World
Part 10: Ammunition
Part 11: Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together
Part 12: Asian Rut
Part 13: Ask
Part 14: Asleep
Part 15: At Amber
Part 16: At Last I Am Born
Part 17: Back To The Old House
Part 18: Barbarism Begins At Home
Part 19: Bengali In Platforms
Part 20: Best Friend On The Payroll
Part 21: Bigmouth Strikes Again
Part 22: Billy Budd
Part 23: Black-Eyed Susan
Part 24: Boxers
Part 25: Break Up The Family
Part 26: Cemetry Gates
Part 27: Certain People I Know
Part 28: Christian Dior
Part 29: Come Back To Camden
Part 30: Cosmic Dancer
Part 31: Dagenham Dave
Part 32: Dear God Please Help Me

the judge

One the Smiths songs I least like, along with Rusholme, What She Said. It's a little bit better than Rusholme Ruffians so 6.

ajrooney

If this song were of higher caliber I would almost be tempted to say that "strangeways" is better than "queen"

Amy

from the Ice Age to the dole age
The worst song in the Smiths' catalogue. Awful. Only slightly better than "Death of a Disco Dancer".

FlickanMedTörnen

as natural as rain
aah.. a 4. one of the smiths songs i like the least. really annoys me that it comes between paint a vulger picture, one of my favourites, and the lovely I won't share you. kind of ruins strangeways a little for me.

Imhotep

ReMember
I quite like it. AND it's short, so you can listen to it between meals without losing your appetite.

thewarroom

Scorpion Kicker
5. Not very good at all with very little redeeming value.

A

Alcoholic Afternoons

I quite like it. Apparently I'm in the minority ....

Your Arsenal

yes I am blind
I listen to this song in my car alot, its just not very deep, but its still nice and catchy, and there ain't nuffin wrong wif that, :p

Bassist-In-A-Tutu

The worst song in the Smiths' catalogue. Awful. Only slightly better than "Death of a Disco Dancer".
Woahhhhh Disco Dancer is a top 3 it's brilliant. I want some of what you take, it messes you up ;)

Death a ones Elbow - brilliant song too. Funny, (There's somebody here who'd take a hatchet to your ear) catchy, it moves it's bussy.... a 9

robbo12345

Mediocre Member
Worst song written by Morrissey/Marr as a partnership, a generous 5. nuff said.

Maurice E

This song deserves 6/10; pretty poor for the Smiths. Sadly, however, it would count as an average song for the Morrissey solo catalogue.

Not sure why people dislike it so strongly; it's pretty innocuous, lyrically, but the music has a powerful upbeat feel to it. Good contrast to 'I Won't Share You'.

Comtesse

Starved Of Mirth
One of Mozzer & Marr's worst compositions, and definitely the nadir of Strangeways, yet I do find the lyrics quite appealing, especially the "you'll slip on the trail of my bespattered remains" (although I think he sings "my sad remains" really). Such poetry to morbid ears! I gave this a 7, but I think I was being too generous - it's really a 5 or 6.

sloanesquarehairltd

Sloanesquarehairltd
death of a disco dancer is certainly in my top ten - its unbelievably atmospheric. reeeally appeals to me. but back to deatn at ones elbow. i would still give it an 8 (bit gererous probably) cos contrary to popular opinion . i think it is quite a substantially good song for strangeways . weakest on album but still good for moz.

Top Bottom