The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 32: DEAR GOD PLEASE HELP ME

How do you rate Dear God Please Help Me?

• Total voters
First time I heard the song I thought "explosive cakes" and later discovered the word "kegs". :p

It's a grower and I like its subtely.

6. Doesn't really do it for me.

This is probably one of the most polarizing songs in Morrissey's entire catalog.

just for the sanity's sake:D

It's much better live in my opinion. I never really liked the album version because it's a bit boring and seems to drag on forever. I was a bit disappointed when I read that it was in the setlist last year, but when I saw him in December I was really surprised how good it was. A year ago I would have given it a 5, now it's 8.

I agree.. when I saw him play it in Pasadena I thought it was really good.

This same dilema will face me when its time to vote for Still Ill. Live this song is a 10. On the first release.. I really think it sounds dreadful.. but we can have that discussion in the future when we are on S.

First time I heard the song I thought "explosive cakes" and later discovered the word "kegs". :p

It's a grower and I like its subtely.

If it was cakes I'd have given it a 9.

**8**

Very good song and I agree with Kyoko..... this song is lovely to listen to when driffting into sleep.

...it helps that Morrissey's voice is also the last thing you hear....:)

Like it or not this is a classic and only Morrissey would do this song.

Top lyric & nice tune, I think! But what kind of god is Morrissey speaking of? I'm interested in hearing some of your thoughts, so is there somebody who'll like to interpret? When the record just was released I read in, I think it was the NME, or so, that "he isn't in love w/ someone, but something", which could be translated to "life", that he's been born at last, as he writes. Could this god be an expression for this "something"? I don't think his only intension was to be blasphemous and funny. -Cudweed:)

I just think its average for Morrissey, though live it's slightly better so I gave it a generous 7.

It's got nothing on Still Ill :p

GMEX oooh what a performance, stay with me forever. Think Moz gets quite moved when he sings this number

However that line about explosive kegs rather diminishes the beauty of said tune.

However (again) when he croons ""the heart feels free" ah I melt. SO a 10 HA HA, no 9 (Can' we have 9.5?)

I can't believe a bunch of Morrissey fans would find "explosive kegs" offensive, or something to cring over. What's the big deal? LOL I think Morrissey has said much more offensive things, that weren't sexual, and yet didn't get as much shit for it.
Anyway, the song is pretty damn good. I give it an 8.

Utterly sublime song. Best thing on the Ringleader record, and that includes Pigsty. Morrissey is a genius: the barefaced sexual nature of the lyrics, combined with the aching vocal and juxtaposed with lush, orchestrated music create a hilarious, yet achingly romantic ballad.

Back
Top Bottom