The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 31: DAGENHAM DAVE

How do you rate Dagenham Dave?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.
And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: DAGENHAM DAVE

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top 30 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Bigmouth Strikes Again, rating: 9,36
2) Cemetry Gates, rating: 9,18
3) Asleep, rating: 9,00
4) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,91
5) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,58
6) Come Back To Camden, rating: 8,48
7) Ask, rating: 8,42
8) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,33
9) Barbarism Begins At Home, rating: 8,30
10) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,21
11) Boxers, rating: 8,13
12) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,72
13) Alma Matters, rating: 7,71
14) Certain People I Know, rating: 7,60
15) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,53
16) Break Up The Family, rating: 7,43
17) Billy Budd, rating: 7,35
18) Bengali In Platforms, rating: 7,30
19) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,07
20) Christian Dior, rating: 6,88
21) At Amber, rating: 6,76
22) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,75
23) Ammunition, rating: 6,72
24) Cosmic Dancer, rating: 6,62
25) Asian Rut, rating: 6,59
26) Best Friend On The Payroll, rating: 6,50
27) Black-Eyed Susan, rating: 6,47
28) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,41
29) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,34
30) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,07

Last edited:
what the fk is a "window screen"?!?!?! (still pisses all over almost all of "you are the quarry" and "ringleader of the tossbags", though.)

what the fk is a "window screen"?!?!?! (still pisses all over almost all of "you are the quarry" and "ringleader of the tossbags", though.)

ringleader of the tossbags, haha. HIM, you are quite funny when i've been drinking...

Dear lord, this could well be the worst song in the history of recorded music!
Ironically, Moz was picking up a lot of airplay around then. Unfathomably, even Radio 1 put this on their A list!
The great tragedy is that they would obviously have also put Nobody Loves Us on their A list, if it had been selected instead, and Moz would have had one of his biggest ever hits (as amazing song plus generous airplay = major chart success!). Oh well, will he ever learn?

Dear lord, this could well be the worst song in the history of recorded music!
Ironically, Moz was picking up a lot of airplay around then. Unfathomably, even Radio 1 put this on their A list!
The great tragedy is that they would obviously have also put Nobody Loves Us on their A list, if it had been selected instead, and Moz would have had one of his biggest ever hits (as amazing song plus generous airplay = major chart success!). Oh well, will he ever learn?

tragic indeed, sir. tragic, indeed.

window screen is a car windshield

I love Karen
I love Sharon

those would be stickers along the top of said windscreen.

or maybe it's "I love Karin"

there was no lyric sheet.. we cannot be sure and if there is a japanese lyric sheet thsoe are always wrong.

window screen is a car windshield

I love Karen
I love Sharon

there was no lyric sheet.. we cannot be sure and if there is a japanese lyric sheet thsoe are always wrong.

cheers, for that, mate

6. It's ok, but it's got a very entertaining video. :D

Finally, a Morrissey song which doesn't get a ten in the poll.

Still, I want to find the person who voted a ten for Black Eyed Susan and have their head examined...

-Vaux

Finally, a Morrissey song which doesn't get a ten in the poll.

Still, I want to find the person who voted a ten for Black Eyed Susan and have their head examined...

-Vaux

Black Eyed Susan is a far superior song to most of what has been put up to poll.

Kyoko

After Your Arsenal, Vauxhall, INterlude and Boxers EP Moz released this. The B-sides helped I guess.

I could say more
But you get the general idea.

What a lyrical gem that is :confused:

Through a complicated series of events, this song convinced me not to listen to Morrissey solo, ever. It was the only song I'd heard from him (yep, I even missed Suedehead and Sunday) and I was gobsmacked at how naff it was. I'd always considered buying a Moz album, but this and a review I read of Southpaw put me off (I thought) for life.

Obviously I've relented now or I wouldn't be here, but I still remember thinking, "Christ, this is crap!"

I love Karen
I love Sharon

Much as I would have liked it to be Karin, it is 'Karen', if Morrissey had anything to say about the video, that is.

Back
Top Bottom