The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 279: SCANDINAVIA

How do you rate 'Scandinavia'?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 279: Scandinavia (Morrissey/Boz Boorer)

I was bored
in a fjord
and I curse the heart and soul of Scandinavia
let the people burn
let their children cry and die in blind asylums
but then you came along
and you held out your hand
and I fell in love with you and Scandinavia
I kiss the soil
I hug the soil
I eat the soil
and I praise the God who made you
Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia
Un-protesting I'll die in Scandinavia

Pinned to a crime
in Trondheim
I despise each syllable in Scandinavia
let the people burn
let their children cry and die in blind asylums
but then you came along
and you held out your hand
and I fell in love with you and Scandinavia
I kiss the soil
I hug the soil
I eat the soil
and I praise the God who made you

Stab me in your own time in Scandinavia
I'd be so happy to die in Scandinavia

Previous polls:

Part 278: Oboe Concerto
Part 277: Mountjoy
Part 276: Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
Part 275: Smiler With Knife
Part 274: Kiss Me A Lot
Part 273: Staircase at the University
Part 272: I'm Not a Man
Part 271: Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Part 270: The Bullfighter Dies
Part 269: Earth is the Loneliest Planet
Part 268: Istanbul
Part 267: World Peace is None of Your Business
Part 266: You Say You Don't Love Me
Part 265: Satellite of Love
Part 264: The Kid's a Looker
Part 263: Action is My Middle Name
Part 262: People Are The Same Everywhere
Part 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
Part 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 259-1

EACH TIME YOU VOTE, YOU SUPPORT THE PROCESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
A 3 for me.
It's just noise - I'm bored but not in a fjord.

Not a favorite of mine. Plodding.

5 - In the middle of nowhere......

Bored, snored.... I actually don't mind the lyrics, but the music sounds like a bad Cure b-side circa 1985. Definitely does not rise to the quality of the other tracks on the deluxe edition.

This one grew on me. Definitely the best of the 2011 era stuff. 9.

a meh. doesnt do anything for on any level i suppose. its just kinda there

Bored, snored.... I actually don't mind the lyrics, but the music sounds like a bad Cure b-side circa 1985. Definitely does not rise to the quality of the other tracks on the deluxe edition.

This is a good point. Lyrically the song has a few moments, but the music is just..... blah.

Definitely B-side material...nothing special. Some nice lyrics and production. Nothing more to say. I'll give it a 6/10.

It's odd, isn't it, how Boz could write something as tuneless and dreary as this but then, within just a year or two, start composing absolute beauties like Drag the River, Staircase and Istanbul?

It's odd, isn't it, how Boz could write something as tuneless and dreary as this but then, within just a year or two, start composing absolute beauties like Drag the River, Staircase and Istanbul?

He's been doing it from the start of his co-writes; in fact he did so back-to-back with "You've Had Her" and "Jack The Ripper."

I really like SCANDINAVIA but I loathe the mix on the last album.So for the album version a very lacklustre 4

I love his vocals on this one and I love that hammering drum up against them. To me, it's very...sensual (the lyrics are pretty erotic). It screams unbridled passion.

Plus, I think I'd just about die if a man said some of those things to me. "I praise the god who made you"? Yes, please.

Lovely.

I love his vocals on this one and I love that hammering drum up against them. To me, it's very...sensual (the lyrics are pretty erotic). It screams unbridled passion.

Yeah. I'm with you on this. It's not my favorite song, but it's definitely a HOT song. And I love the way he sings "I eat the soil" when he does it live.

Yeah. I'm with you on this. It's not my favorite song, but it's definitely a HOT song. And I love the way he sings "I eat the soil" when he does it live.

Phew! All that kissing, stabbing, hugging, eating, and dying in stuff.....

I was trying not to sound perverse, but...yea...that song is definitely full of passion. It's a wonder he doesn't rip off his shirt during that one.

Definitely going to be paying extra attention to how he says "I eat the soil" from now on in. Thanks for that heads up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz1B8B7LrXU

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom