The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 277: MOUNTJOY

How do you rate Mountjoy?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 277: Mountjoy (Morrissey/Boz Boorer)

The Joy brings many things
it cannot bring you joy
sons of mothers huddled here
man and boy
1850 swung the doors
and human sewage swept inside
where victims speak in whines
and where the hardened cry

I was sent here by a
three-foot half-wit in a wig
I took his insults on the chin
and never did I flinch

A swagger hides the fear in here
by this rule we breathe
and there is no one upon on this earth
whom I'd feel sad to leave

You see
we all lose
we all lose

What those in power do to you
reminds us at a glance
how humans hate each others guts
and show it given a chance

We never say aloud the things
that we say in our prayers
'cos no one cares

Many executed here
by the awful lawfully good
but the only thing that makes me
cry
is when I see the sky

Brendan Behan's laughter rings
for what he had or hadn't done
for he knew then
as I know now
that for each and every one
of us
we all lose
rich or poor
we all lose
rich or poor
we all lose.

Previous polls:

Part 276: Kick the Bride Down the Aisle
Part 275: Smiler With Knife
Part 274: Kiss Me A Lot
Part 273: Staircase at the University
Part 272: I'm Not a Man
Part 271: Neal Cassady Drops Dead
Part 270: The Bullfighter Dies
Part 269: Earth is the Loneliest Planet
Part 268: Istanbul
Part 267: World Peace is None of Your Business
Part 266: You Say You Don't Love Me
Part 265: Satellite of Love
Part 264: The Kid's a Looker
Part 263: Action is My Middle Name
Part 262: People Are The Same Everywhere
Part 261: Safe, Warm Lancashire Home
Part 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being
Polls 259-1

EACH TIME YOU VOTE, YOU SUPPORT THE PROCESS!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am being generous on a lot of these but I can't help it. I love this song. Musically it reminds me a bit of "Automatic For The People" era REM, which is never a bad thing.

Morrissey, the capital P Poet, reappears. He is one of the few "modern rock" musicians (however ill-defined) who would use an old Irish prison as the symbol for the precarious nature of human interaction. This is one of the few songs on the album that naturally lent itself to a spoken-word video, as on the whole it is one of the best sets of his 21st century lyrics.

Again, I grade stringently because the music is a touch too much of a hybrid of "We'll Let You Know" and "The Public Image." Morrissey's lyrics and navigation of the vocal melody carry the day.

One of the best on the album for sure.

I voted an 8 but would actually go with a 9 if I could change it, after a few minutes thought.

Last edited:
I agree pretty much with jamie on this. I love though and will give it a nine

10/10. My favourite song on the album, and currently of all time. Morrissey's vocal delivery reminds me of Maladjusted, but the music reminds me of Speedway. I think the 'prison as metaphor for the human condition' concept works brilliantly, and the lyrics are up there with the very best of his career. I can't heap enough praise on to this song. It's such a pleasure to listen to.

Definitely a front runner with Smiler as favorite track on the album.

A tremendous track, from the music to the lyrics to the production. I gave it a 10 and possibly my favourite track from the album. that Istanbul or Staircase. To those who say Morrissey no longer writes powerful lyrics I would point them to this and say phooey.

i like the easy hollow sounding music as it makes me feel like im inside of something and the calm is reminiscent of the period of waiting before a dreaded event (facing the judge and his judgement). i think the music adds to lyrical content of the song and i dont always care for this style (smiler with knife i dont like as it kinda sounds, and now wel add this and now well add this) but thats just me.

One of the best songs from WPINOWB, in which the quality of Moz voice at its best sounds. By the way, the strange sound in the second half of the song reminds me of "Meat Is Murder" cows.

'Staircase' received the most votes so far, 52, most of the other ones have reached 40. which means that this one could do with a few extra votes to even things out.

'Staircase' received the most votes so far, 52, most of the other ones have reached 40. which means that this one could do with a few extra votes to even things out.
interesting, so songs that people tend to like more, get more votes :guitar: I bet the opposite would be true were voting anonymous :cool:

ps: no, I wouldn't like anonymous voting for these polls* I prefer seeing how some other people vote, you know, the few people I like on here

*=can the handful of idiots posting on here anonymously vote if polls are anonymous? if so, that sucks man

Dug this out to give it a high score. Best track on the album, with a beautiful backing, amazing lyric and superb vocal. 9, 10 if i had seen it live in Berlin...!

Back
Top Bottom