The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 27: CERTAIN PEOPLE I KNOW

How do you rate Certain People I Know?

• Total voters

Eh...

DXS

I gave it a five BECAUSE its Moz anyone else itd be a five and a half :>)

okay tune...nothing great

Just do a search for Kumo and you will see my posts on politics. They have been discussed to death.

I didn't know I was required to explain my votes to vote? I don't hate the man, I am a huge fan I have giving most of the Smiths songs very high scores and some of his solo songs some very high ratings too. But so far most of the solo songs that have been up for vote have not been very good ones in my book, Certain people i know is mindless rockabilly bullshit and I give it a 1.

I think my girlfriend has given all his solo songs 1, she is a Smiths fan and describes his solo shows as if Moz went to a Smiths karaoke night. I am not as hash on his solo stuff as she is, there are a lot of solo songs I would give a 10, they just haven't come up yet...

I have a right to my vote as much as anyone else... If to stack the poll with just moz lemmings and discount votes you don't like what is the point of the poll at all? Really it's stupid.

Kumo

I know you are but what am I? :D

Really love this song. The T-Rex guitar riff is hugely pleasing! Alain Whyte's first great Morrissey single.

Also love Alain's backing vocals and Morrissey wonderfully insouciant ad-lib in the closing few bars; splendid stuff!

Thinking about it, Your Arsenal was the last Moz album where there were really distinctively different styles of music; the soft acoustic strumming on Seasick, the lovely evocative 1950's balladry of I Know It's Gonna Happen, the chiming glam-rock pop of Certain People, the rockabilly swagger of You're Gonna Need, the hugely uplifting, power-chord pop of National Front Disco etc; what a great mixture of sounds!
Nowadays, the Moz sound is more of a generic guitar indie-pop thing. Oh well...

I love this song but I hate the bassline. I used to call Gary and Spencer Plod and Thud, and this song definitely has one of the most plodding, uninspiring basslines ever. Imagine how good this could be with Andy Rourke on it? Sigh...

Anyway, apart from that, I love the "Ride A White Swan" T.Rex riff and the lyrics. And the video. Oh, the video. One of the last videos where Morrissey looked truly gorgeous beyond words.

I give it an 8.

I love this song but I hate the bassline. I used to call Gary and Spencer Plod and Thud, and this song definitely has one of the most plodding, uninspiring basslines ever. Imagine how good this could be with Andy Rourke on it? Sigh...

Anyway, apart from that, I love the "Ride A White Swan" T.Rex riff and the lyrics. And the video. Oh, the video. One of the last videos where Morrissey looked truly gorgeous beyond words.

I give it an 8.

How do you go about these polls? Just at random?
Anyway, thanks for all the comments and the votes.

How do you go about these polls? Just at random?
Anyway, thanks for all the comments and the votes.

I use a bizarre system of taking the title of the song I'm currently listening to on my hard-drive shuffle, and finding the Morrissey/Smiths title that contains some of the same words. Like right now I'm listening to "I Am Decided" by the Amps, so I'll probably go out and put a comment on "I Am Hated For Loving". I already voted on all the songs a long time ago, when they were originally posted, but I didn't put any comments out there because I was too busy. But now that I'm bored I'm playing catch up.

This took me awhile to get into when I first listened to Your Arsenal, but now it's one of my most listened to songs by Morrissey. I really like it. The lyrical content seemed to predetermine the mood of Southpaw Grammar, and is very clever and witty in it's own right, while the music is good and juxtaposes wonderfull with the subject matter of the music. Quintessential-"romance of crime"-Moz

An 8.

Back
Top Bottom