The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being

How do you rate Treat Me Like a Human Being?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, I put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 40,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. In 2009/2010 we updated this chart with the 25 new songs that were released in 2008-2010. The final results of 2010, the 'Top 259', can be viewed here. Now, 4 years on, many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 25 new Morrissey-songs have been released.
So we'll start with the songs that were released in 2011, 2012 and 2013 and we'll end with the 18 songs from World Peace Is None of Your Business.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007 and 2010 and, once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 260: Treat Me Like a Human Being (Morrissey/Stephen Street)

It's hard but try
It's hard but try
For once
Just for once
Just for once
Leave all your hate behind you
It's still so strange and obscene
For you to look and see
One who is real
And who feels life
Three words could change my life
So once
Just for once
Just for once
Let the night pass with ease, son
Treat me like a human being
I'd like to know how this feels

Three words could change my life
Yet you treat me like you never care
Although three words could change my life
You still treat me like you never care

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: One of the worst songs ever, by anyone

Last edited by a moderator:
I've polled the whole of the universe for you.

It's a solid 1.

Morrissey chose to nuke 'Ordinary Boys' for this on the re-released Viva Hate?

I'd pay for a midget to punch him in the balls repeatedly for that crime against humanity.

I quite like this. Nice little song, and I like the vulnerability in his voice. Not sure it deserved to knock Ordinary Boys off the album, but it deserved a release somewhere. 7.

Nice one, Houdini.
Will you be including songs like The Kid's A Looker?
If you are, and that one is not voted the worst song in the entire Smiths/Morrissey back-catalogue, your polling methodology is obviously flawed!

Thanks for starting these polls again, Houdini. I enjoyed reading through them when I first discovered Morrissey last year, and look forward to seeing what everyone thinks to the World Peace songs et al.

As for this song its a pleasant enough ditty, albeit one that doesn't stay in the mind for long. 6.

Nice idea, looking forward to seeing the results!

This song doesn't do anything for me. Lyrics are ok, the tune itself is boring. All of this could be forgiven but for the vocals, which are uncharacteristically poor. 4.

ugh i find the lyrics to be the worst bit of it. tunes alright

I like the melody and the sentiment of the lyric. As someone else already stated, there's a sweet vulnerability conveyed.

However, the fact that it sounds like an unfinished demo and was shoehorned onto the Viva Hate remaster in that state, at the expense of a great track, tarnishes it for me. I wish the song were more fully realized...

I give it a 5.

Nice one, Houdini.
Will you be including songs like The Kid's A Looker?
If you are, and that one is not voted the worst song in the entire Smiths/Morrissey back-catalogue, your polling methodology is obviously flawed!

Yes, we'll be doing all officially released Morrissey-songs from the past 4 years.
'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' will be next, and after that the Last of the Famous-reissue-songs, including The Kid's a Looker.

To be the worst it will have to beat Journalists Who Lie, which has an average of 4,78, and is the only Morrissey-song with an average below 5.

Musically speaking it's nothing special I think, but...

It's still so strange and obscene
For you to look and see
One who is real
And who feels life

and once again Moz speaks for me

Yes, we'll be doing all officially released Morrissey-songs from the past 4 years.
'Safe, Warm Lancashire Home' will be next, and after that the Last of the Famous-reissue-songs, including The Kid's a Looker.

To be the worst it will have to beat Journalists Who Lie, which has an average of 4,78, and is the only Morrissey-song with an average below 5.

Good stuff. Bit of a shame not to blend them in with assessing all the songs as we've done before as I think that makes the scores more objective.
However, guess that would take best part of a year now.

If I can vote I choose number 8, this song is so special to me, his voice is perfect when he sings "three words can chase my life" reminds me so much "Back to the old house" and other early smiths songs

Despite, the recording and unfinishededness, I have to give this song a 9. It's a song about me, and it has that fragility in common with some Smiths songs. Incredibly moving.

Back
Top Bottom