The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 253: BORN TO HANG

How do you rate Born To Hang?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Now that we've done all the new songs from 2009, and the older songs released this year, and with no foreseeable new songs in the near future, to finish these series off we'll move to the unreleased (full) tracks that have emerged over the last couple of year, i.e. Born To Hang, Happy Lovers United, I'm Playing Easy To Get, Lifeguard On Duty, Oh Phoney, Please help The Cause Against Loneliness and Striptease With A Difference, in that order.
So here is:

Song 253: BORN TO HANG

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 252: You Should Have been Nice To Me
Part 251: Fantastic Bird
Part 250: Honey, You Know Where To Find Me
Part 249: I'm OK By Myself
Part 248: Sorry Doesn't Help
Part 247: You Were Good In Your Time
Part 246: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Part 245: One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Part 244: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Part 243: Black Cloud
Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
a generous 7

the guitarriff reminds me of another song, dunno if it's Smiths or solo, but
defitanately the rythm is a sorta ' take on loan' even is from a song of his
or being part of the 4

nothing special, you must be making christmass cards with me for giving
this song over an 8 score

:crazy:

that's me, don't fear, I got loads of pills in different colours

Brilliant lyrics and a fine rockabilly riff. Could be a classic if played live.

By far my least favorite of the unreleased tracks. Even the most recent mix on Revelation feels incomplete. The parts just don't cohere to my ear. While I usually liked the appearance of stand-up bass, I find it really grating on this track.

I think the rockabilly EP/mini-album would have been a commercial disaster at that point in time, especially in the weak of the anemic chart placings for Kill Uncle and its singles. Now, if he had done something similar after the Lads were road-primed in late 1991 or early 1992 rather than this mixed mode band (studio musicians like Nevin and Paresi, future Lads like Boz and Bridgwood), it might have succeeded.

Frankly, I prefer my "Morrissey rockabilly" to lean harder towards the You're Gonna Need Someone On Your Side end of the spectrum and less something like this or the studio version of The Loop.

don't you and the person under you even give songs like 'fatty'a 9?

you must be joking a 9

what's speedway, a 250?

I think their intentions are quite different. It's the same as comparing a hard-house CD to a Bob Dylan track - utterly pointless as they're not meant to be representing the same thing.

'Fatty' is a jokey pop song, 'Speedway' is not.

It is not that bad, just nothing special. That's a 6 according to the scale.

Brilliant lyrics and a fine rockabilly riff. Could be a classic if played live.

This. Great vocals, too. I would love to hear it live. If he can't give us Sing Your Life, he needs to give us this.

:guitar: Love it-perfect song to kick off Revelations. It's a good driving song, too... makes me want to be at a swing club.

sorry

eveyone has his taste, even in Smiths, Morrissey songs

sometimes hard to remember

don't worry, I get prescribed pills for being me:crazy:

I take it you despise this song? May I ask why?

Personally I see no connection with Fatty. Fatty says nothing, Born has at least got great lyrics.

This song should have remained 'unheard' as well as 'unreleased.' I have no desire to listen to Morrissey move his bowels.

Back
Top Bottom