The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 25: BREAK UP THE FAMILY

How do you rate Break Up The Family?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.
Song for Today (the final B-song): BREAK UP THE FAMILY

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-24 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Bigmouth Strikes Again, rating: 9,37
2) Asleep, rating so far: 9,04
3) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,87
4) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,59
5) Ask, rating: 8,42
6) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,32
7) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,28
8) Barbarism Begins At Home, rating: 8,20
9) Boxers, rating: 8,05
10) Alma Matters, rating: 7,80
11) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,60
12) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,55
13) Billy Budd, rating: 7,46
14) Bengali In Platforms, rating: 7,30
15) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,12
16) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,78
17) At Amber, rating: 6,65
18) Ammunition, rating 6,65
19) Asian Rut, rating: 6,65
20) Best Friend On The Payroll, rating: 6,60
21) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,44
22) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,42
23) Black-Eyed Susan, rating: 6,40
24) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,16

I got the first vote! :D

Hmm, these results are somewhat surprising. I could never have expected Black-Eyed Susan being so near the bottom of the list, beneath Ambitious Outsiders and America. And I thought Floorboards was more popular too. Bigmouth really surprises me most of all, and Ask seems a little high and Alsatian a little low too.

Hmm, these results are somewhat surprising. I could never have expected Black-Eyed Susan being so near the bottom of the list, beneath Ambitious Outsiders and America. And I thought Floorboards was more popular too. Bigmouth really surprises me most of all, and Ask seems a little high and Alsatian a little low too.

Hi Kipe! I haven't forgotten about that show, I'll do that when I get home.:)

I give this song a 9. One of the best songs from Viva Hate, imo. I'd love to sing it at graduation.

"So wish me luck. my friends, goodbye..." would sound very cool in a crowded gymnasium full of angry HS seniors ;).

Bigmouth is the biggest surprise so far for me, too.
9,37 seems a ridiculously high rating and I think it will be very difficult for any song to do better than that.
I also didn't expect Ask and Barbarism to do quite so well, but it seems they will easily make the final 100.

My scores so far...

Dykes - 6
Susan - 8
America - 5
Outsiders - 6
Rut - 6
Ammunition - 5
Payroll - 5
Amber - 6
Born - 7
Floorboards - 9
Bengali - 8
Billy Budd - 7
Swallow - 8
Alma - 6
Alsatian - 7
Angel - 9
Boxers - 5
Break Up - 6

Accept - 7
Barbarism - 9
Ask - 10
Rush & Push - 9
Asleep - 8
Bigmouth - 10
Old House - 9

Just wait til we get to the debut album, my apparent smiths bias will go away quickly. I have plenty of solo 10's.. just haven't had them come up yet.

Last edited:
Why was Born to Hang skipped?

Not that I think much of it but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Striptease With a Difference.

It wasn't youth, it wasn't life
Born old, sadly wise

come on! you guys are giving this an 8?!?

this is a 10!

yes it's a 10.
but I think I've voted 10 on almost everyone :o
edit: not on barbarism (8) accept yourself (8) ammunition (7)

Last edited:
It wasn't youth, it wasn't life
Born old, sadly wise

come on! you guys are giving this an 8?!?

this is a 10!

Sorry:( . Must be as a chock for you as it were for me that people gave Boxers several eighths to ones...

<3 the line: "Driven home in a car - no brakes? I dont mind"

DXS

Following Billy Budd and Boxers, Kumo and Hacopian voted 1 and Mick Cable will do the same? :rolleyes:

Following Billy Budd and Boxers, Kumo and Hacopian voted 1 and Mick Cable will do the same? :rolleyes:

well we all know Kumow is complete cretin so 'it's' vote should be void.

This track is excellentttt!

Why was Born to Hang skipped?

Not that I think much of it but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Striptease With a Difference.

They weren't officially released, so I didn't think it was fair to include them now, as Born To Hang would almost certainly end up last.

I will do the unreleased stuff after we've done the final officially released one, to see where they fit in.

Anyone got any other requests apart from Born To Hang, Oh Phoney, Striptease and Honey You Know Where To Find Me?

Last edited:
They weren't officially released, so I didn't think it was fair to include them now, as Born To Hang would almost certainly end up last.

I will do the unreleased stuff after we've done the final officially released one, to see where they fit in.

Anyone got any other requests apart from Born To Hang, Oh Phoney, Striptease and Honey You Know Where To Find Me?

There's Please Help the Cause Against Loneliness, a Moz vocal version of that exists. :) And also I'm Playing Easy to Get which was technically not released, so I'm not sure what you want to do with that one, I really love that song. :o

OK, these 6 songs will be up once we have all the officially released stuff behind us, which will be in late November or thereabouts :)

It's musically bland and it doesn't have much of a melody, but those lyrics mean the world to me. I LOVED it when Morrissey performed this one live during the Oye Esteban tour. Sooooo beautiful, and so touching when he would sing, "I want to see all my friends tonight" and point to the crowd. Choked me up every time. I give it an 8... but a very special 8.

Musically unremarkable, but lyrically strong. I like this song alot, so I'll give it a 7.

Back
Top Bottom