The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 249: I'M OK BY MYSELF

How do you rate I'm OK By Myself?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 249: I'M OK BY MYSELF

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 248: Sorry Doesn't Help
Part 247: You Were Good In Your Time
Part 246: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Part 245: One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Part 244: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Part 243: Black Cloud
Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
Another astonishing pop distillation of the Moz ethos, this time into four words. Best closer since Speedway. Nothing less than brilliant. TEN.

OK guys and girls, after living with YoR for a while, this one is my favorite - it's a killer song and the Live version is simply amazing 10 :guitar:

Ah, it's Jamie's favourite Morrissey song!
Probably an 8 from me - a powerful bit of music, some nice turns of phrase, not too keen on the outro though.
Looks like it could dislodge You Have Killed Me as Jesse's best co-write...

It's a 9. Jesse's best work and the delivery by Morrissey is phenomenal - don't get the Outro hate - it's great to hear him cut loose like this

As positive as Moz has always been about Jerry Finn, he wasn't shy about saying that Finn had no interest in this track and mixed it without passion despite Morrissey giving it is all in the vocal booth. I agree that his vocal outro is one of his best bits of non-verbal singing in the whole discography.

Seems to be a track that even Jesse dissenters agree is pretty strong.

It's a 9. Jesse's best work and the delivery by Morrissey is phenomenal - don't get the Outro hate - it's great to hear him cut loose like this

As positive as Moz has always been about Jerry Finn, he wasn't shy about saying that Finn had no interest in this track and mixed it without passion despite Morrissey giving it is all in the vocal booth. I agree that his vocal outro is one of his best bits of non-verbal singing in the whole discography.

Seems to be a track that even Jesse dissenters agree is pretty strong.

I hadn't heard about that. Where can I read this?

Might be Finn's punk background why he had no interest in this track. There is a somewhat unspoken connection amongst punks.

I think Jerry Finn disliked this track because it sounds like an adolescent temper tantrum. :rolleyes:

I do love Morrissey's vocal work on the outro, I think it is a magnificent Moz moment. Overall, though, this song is a bit too clumsily self-indulgent for me.

I think Jerry Finn disliked this track because it sounds like an adolescent temper tantrum. :rolleyes:

I do love Morrissey's vocal work on the outro, I think it is a magnificent Moz moment. Overall, though, this song is a bit too clumsily self-indulgent for me.

His vocals on the outro are the only thing that kept me from making this a 3. The rest is as arid as the four overly simplistic words in the title. Better things ahead next time, I hope.

I like it but it's NOT a 10. A 10 is something like "Late Night, Maudlin Street" or "everyday is like sunday" or "Speedway". (pointless, I know. :p )

His vocals on the outro are the only thing that kept me from making this a 3. The rest is as arid as the four overly simplistic words in the title. Better things ahead next time, I hope.

the words in the title are "overly simplistic"? :lbf: You are one of those "longtime fans" that thinks they know more about what Morrissey should be doing than he does. LOL I'd hate to be him running into these people all the time.

What do you mean it's 'arid'? That makes aboslutely no sense whatsoever. And I agree with 'Dave' that criticising a song for having 'an overly simplistic title' is pathetic. Even Q magazine wouldn't stoop to criticising him for the simplicity of the f***ing song title.

In my opinion, the song is an absolute corker and one of the high points of his entire career. The vocals are passionate, heartfelt and intense and it's easily Jesse's finest co-write. The drumming and the almost tribal yodelling at the finish make the hair stand up on the back of my neck. It's a great song to close the album on and a great song to dance to. I'm surprised it didn't get the reaction I thought it would whenever I've seen him play it live.

10 out of 10, easily the best track on the album.

"...now this might make you throw up in your bed but I find I'm okay by myself..." -haha, love it.

I dont give 10s easy in these things but this is a 10 for me .. the fact that YOR is out almost a year and the 2 songs I haven't tired of in any way are Skull and OK ... that speaks for itself to me. It rocks, it's funny, it's thoughtful .. love it!

Back
Top Bottom