The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 248: SORRY DOESN'T HELP

How do you rate Sorry Doesn't Help?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 248: SORRY DOESN'T HELP
Listen here

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 247: You Were Good In Your Time
Part 246: It's Not Your Birthday Anymore
Part 245: One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell
Part 244: When Last I Spoke To Carol
Part 243: Black Cloud
Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited:
Let me be the first to pass comment on it, then...

Fantastic song! Seemingly one of the most underrated in the entire canon, albeit by the Tobias haters...

I don't hate Jesse or his work..I just think it was poor judgement to include this on YOR while "Shame is the Name" and "Because of My Poor Education" were relegated to B-sides. The other way around would have worked very nicely (probably with a different order in the tracks, though).

I'm afraid the intro to the song is the only part I find interesting about it :blushing: :guitar:

5 for me - apart from the intro - which implies that we're about to hear something interesting - this is just.......nothing.

Uninspired lyrics, flat delivery and plodding music. And the less said about the stacatto-synth-piano at the close the better.

I gave this song the 10 it deserves. It's the balls. Don't hate.

I like it. A good solid little number. I particularly like his voice on this one, the stresses and intonations. 7 from me.

As I've mentioned a couple of times before, this track is a real grower -- but you have to give it a chance. The first few listens it really screamed "filler" but it has its charms.

I like the plaintive guitar rawk intro and the (painfully simple) arpeggios. Yes, it's 2D Jesse but it has a good feel. The keyboards fill the track out nicely.

The synth ending is an homage to Moz' beloved Sparks track "This Town Ain't Big Enough..." (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBtj2ShktAU) That doesn't make it good by definition but it's a poppy sound that's quite unique in the Moz canon.

Edit: I do think that if it had been relegated to a B-side instead of taking up an album spot (two J tracks in a row) it would get more love.

It seems that the less popular a song is, the less people feel inclined to cast their vote. This song is by far the least popular song of the 2009-bunch (and of the entire decade for that matter) and it also has received the least votes, so far.

Anyway, will put the next one up later today, the last of the Refusal ones, and then we'll do the Southpaw-additions.

It seems that the less popular a song is, the less people feel inclined to cast their vote. This song is by far the least popular song of the 2009-bunch (and of the entire decade for that matter) and it also has received the least votes, so far.

Anyway, will put the next one up later today, the last of the Refusal ones, and then we'll do the Southpaw-additions.

Hi Houdini ,

I really appreciate your efforts in finalizing this mammoth poll , and can't wait to see the final updated results.

My question is : Did you receive more votes on the "older" songs this time round , other than MY votes , that is ? I hope so !

And , by the way , I do love this song Sorry doesn't help ; not so much the lyrics , but the music rocks..A solid 9 from me...:guitar:

Back
Top Bottom