The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 245: ONE DAY GOODBYE WILL BE FAREWELL

How do you rate One Day Goodbye Will Be Farewell?

• Total voters
I gave it a 7.
Lyrically not splendid, but the sentiment's quite rudely awakening.
Forgive the smelly lyric!
I do think it's a stonkingly good track live... it's quite in the style of Marc and the Mambas 'Torment and Toreros' album. I like it!

Wendy

It has a few choice lyrical lines, but terribly uninspiring music.

Half-cocked. A pity, because it could have been a wittier parting shot.

Well, this is true for the entire album, I would say.

I find this song actually one of the most enjoyable of the album, especially the last minute or so.

really?

so you find ROTT better than YOR?

well people differ., respect that, but...I think it can beat Quarry as best album
of this century, never liked Rott, i tried ,tried, still do, but no...i doesn't grab me like a Morrissey album use to do

really?

so you find ROTT better than YOR?

well people differ., respect that, but...I think it can beat Quarry as best album
of this century, never liked Rott, i tried ,tried, still do, but no...i doesn't grab me like a Morrissey album use to do

Not too keen on ROTT either, but at least it had some really good songs (eh, Pigsty, that is) and it felt like a coherent album thanks to Visconti's production. This one is just bland, although not without merit, of course.

I think Quarry is clearly the best of the decade, it stands head and shoulders above the other two.

Not too keen on ROTT either, but at least it had some really good songs (eh, Pigsty, that is) and it felt like a coherent album thanks to Visconti's production. This one is just bland, although not without merit, of course.

I think Quarry is clearly the best of the decade, it stands head and shoulders above the other two.

Interesting. I think Years of Refusal is his best. Quarry has great songs yet feels like a compilation (no surprise given the gestation period.) Ringleader has a nice, cohesive feel but - although nothing is in any way poor - lacks truly great songs. Years of Refusal has the great songs and feels like fully knitted together album. The only thing I'd quibble about is You Were Good In Your Time being placed after the rather more epic Birthday. Nice track, nice change of pace from the other songs, but in many ways it feels likes it's strayed in from a different album...

I like 'and the smiling children tell you that you smell', and 'i have been thinking(what with?) my final brain cell, how time grips you sliding in it's spell'

i DONT like 'just look at me, a savage beast - i've got nothing to sell'
- sure about that?

I DONT like
'and when i die i want to go to hell'

oh and btw, ROTT is his best album this decade.

I like 'and the smiling children tell you that you smell', and 'i have been thinking(what with?) my final brain cell, how time grips you sliding in it's spell'

i DONT like 'just look at me, a savage beast - i've got nothing to sell'
- sure about that?

I DONT like
'and when i die i want to go to hell'

oh and btw, ROTT is his best album this decade.

I'm another fan of the 'smiling children' line. It's silly and throw-away and a little bit spiteful all at the same time. Who else but Morrissey, eh?

I'd quite like the 'I've been thinking' lyric to have been delivered in a There Speaks a True Friend manner, with someone else interjecting with the 'What with?' snipe, but it might have interupted the frenetic pace of the song.

And Ringleader is categorically superior to Quarry and Refusal (both of which I like, but... just seem to lack something).

well, whatever its merits, it's currently the worst song on the album (voting wise). only Sorry Doesn't Help stands a chance of dislodging it.
a major problem with this song is that it was previewed live well before the album came out, and it's managed to survive into the current tour. I wish it would just go away!
having said that, it's still a million times better than the the worst stuff on Quarry and ROTT (Father Must Be Killed, How Can Anybody, On Streets I Ran etc).

pff, thanks for that

it is, but half f the albumwas already known,personally I think the difference
and the short time btween ROTT and YOR, refusal is a good album, I think
we have been spoiled this decade, and it's definately time for a rest in
his carrier, and his health, another collaborator might inspire, would some
guy from Whytenshaw willing to do that, or the other way around

we can only hope and pray;)

This is almost pure magic. Especially live. Incredible lyrics (well, duuh...) and beautiful vocal melody. A 9

Back
Top Bottom