The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 243: BLACK CLOUD

How do you rate Black Cloud?

• Total voters
This song shows great promise for the first 20 seconds or so, but then, unfortunately, it all of a sudden slips into generic indie-rock mode.
The ' I Just Want To See The Boy Happy' off Refusal, really.
Thankfully, it never became a single...

I will be the first to admit that I wasn’t impressed with YoR on it’s release but it has grown on me over the year, I gave it 9 as I agree that it is one of the couple songs on the album that deal with a new subject matter, the only possible relation is TMYIMTCIG but this is more about someone being ignored appose to Black Cloud which I think that he has a relationship with object of his affection but it is doomed to be platonic.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/13/morrissey-years-of-refusal
"Indeed, great lines are surprisingly thin on the ground. It's not so much that you've heard what he has to say on Black Cloud or That's How People Grow Up before; it's more that you've heard him say it better."

See also his Robbie Williams - Reality Killed The Video Star 4/5 review.

And his Morrissey - You Are The Quarry 2/5 review.

Not the best source to quote! :) The man clearly has no genuine feel or understanding for Morrissey's material...

Also, regardless of whether you like the song, That's How People Grow Up does actually articulate something Morrissey has never said in song before. So he's wrong about that too!

Still, we both gave Black Cloud 8/10 so we must agree on something!

See also his Robbie Williams - Reality Killed The Video Star 4/5 review.
And his Morrissey - You Are The Quarry 2/5 review.
Not the best source to quote! :) The man clearly has no genuine feel or understanding for Morrissey's material...
Also, regardless of whether you like the song, That's How People Grow Up does actually articulate something Morrissey has never said in song before. So he's wrong about that too!
Still, we both gave Black Cloud 8/10 so we must agree on something!

I don't really like Alex Petroleum - the man is patently something of a berk. just using him as an example of someone who said Morrissey was covering the same old ground, lyrically, but not as well as before.
as I said in my original post, I think Black Cloud is a great song.
I would have to agree with him over Quarry tho. I find most of the album unlistenable, although many of the b-sides to its singles are quite splendid. but that's for another thread!

The intro is fine, but that's about it. Nothing special.

My thoughts exactly. The little noodling Jeff Beck does at the intro seem to set up an entirely different and more interesting song - and then that hamfisted "rawk" power chord ruins it.

With the exception of Paris, I was very disappointed in Boz's contributions on YoR.

Eight. One of the stronger songs on the album. Very well instrumented and produced, catchy, powerful. I'd have to agree with The Guardian regarding the lyrics, but they are adequate.

cheers

a recurring critique of the YOR songs was that he was covering old ground, lyrically, but less skilfully than before.
whilst undoubtedly true with some songs (e.g. One Day Goodbye), I reckon Black Cloud could be Morrissey's finest unrequited love song to date.
"I can woo ya, I can amuse ya" - brilliant!
the descending "oh black cloud" vocal melody is wonderful too, and the strummy guitar bit mid-way through is fantastically pleasing!
whilst it's clearly not up there with his very best stuff - I'm giving it an 8 - it's certainly an above-average modern day Morrissey song, head and shoulders above most of the generic, substandard filler on ROTT and Who Ate Me Curry.

:clap: I completely agree. :)

A strong one. In most respects. Gave it an 8.

Back
Top Bottom