The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 243: BLACK CLOUD

How do you rate Black Cloud?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 243: BLACK CLOUD

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 242: Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed
Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull
Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

a 9

one of the best track on YOR, heard a live version and I agree Moz's band is
in Southpaaw time, the guitars ruling too much, can't be the PA, cause Morrissey would interfere and turn the guitars a bit low, so the bass and drums and especially keyboard made an equal sound

on the album it's great, the whole album is better, I can't believe the
difference between the just apr 3 2006 Tormentors release,Visconti screwed up big time, or was Morricone studio

well , songs as big cloud a typical Morrissey, glad he returned back to
his roots after a difficult, experienced album like ROTT

a very good Morrissey song. Can't understand the moaning that goes on about it, though the poll results (thus far, with 32 votes) are quite positive.

"I can sink much lower than usual..." is the money shot in the song for me.

Musically, its one of the better numbers on the album.Lyrically, he fails the song when he says "Black Cloud" about thirty times too many.

a recurring critique of the YOR songs was that he was covering old ground, lyrically, but less skilfully than before.
whilst undoubtedly true with some songs (e.g. One Day Goodbye), I reckon Black Cloud could be Morrissey's finest unrequited love song to date.
"I can woo ya, I can amuse ya" - brilliant!
the descending "oh black cloud" vocal melody is wonderful too, and the strummy guitar bit mid-way through is fantastically pleasing!
whilst it's clearly not up there with his very best stuff - I'm giving it an 8 - it's certainly an above-average modern day Morrissey song, head and shoulders above most of the generic, substandard filler on ROTT and Who Ate Me Curry.

Not my favourite but it sounds really good live.

a recurring critique of the YOR songs was that he was covering old ground, lyrically, but less skilfully than before.

Not with anyone I know it wasn't!

Re: Black Cloud. Not the best song on the album by any means, but very strong, accomplished, powerful, interesting, and unusual.

An 8 from me.

Not with anyone I know it wasn't!
Re: Black Cloud. Not the best song on the album by any means, but very strong, accomplished, powerful, interesting, and unusual.
An 8 from me.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/feb/13/morrissey-years-of-refusal
"Indeed, great lines are surprisingly thin on the ground. It's not so much that you've heard what he has to say on Black Cloud or That's How People Grow Up before; it's more that you've heard him say it better."

Monotonous, tuneless, barely listenable rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom