The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull

How do you rate Something Is Squeezing My Skull?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 241: Something Is Squeezing My Skull

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 240: Because Of My Poor Education
Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
The music's great (well done Mr Whyte) and the lyrics are pretty good too. That is until Moz decides to imitate the worst band in the history of music (Red Hot Chilli Pepper) with that horrible 'Don't Gimme Any More' coda.
Such a shame.

"Something is squeezing my SKULL!"

Great fun, good opener for the album. Love the "HRT, ECT, How long must I stay on this stuff?" section. 8/10.

love love love it!
has to be a 10, only because there is no higher option. :)

A raucous, fabulous track. 9.

To everyone's surprise, this is actually quite good. Not groundbreakingly good but you know, decent radio stuff.
Could have done without the slow lines clumsily enumerating all the different mmmmmmmm drugs (is that what they are? :straightface:) but I suppose it had to be done in the interest of tempo (slow then fastfastfast to end the song in junkyhysteria.)
Oh, ALL RIGHT THEN.:rolleyes:

Can anyone please explain the meaning of the lyrics? I really can't get the message...Thank you.

One of my absolute faves, as you can see here.

Demonstrated even further by the fact that last.fm shows I have listened to SISMS 199 times and I'm OK By Myself 183 times (382 total), the remaining 10 tracks from YOR earning 763 plays combined, propelling it to the top of the album chart!

Last edited:
an 8

it's grower, and lso a song you can hate because it's played to much

[as currently 'this charning man, and nrmb1 how soon is now, is it
really so strange was never liked by me]

back to Skull, it's an OK song and the best half of YOR, well YOR is
becoming his 2nd best album after Vauxhall, wish it was done bit less
heavy guitar, maybe Boz had took an acoustic guitar, or a more build up,
variety
Oops I'm kickng the song into mash patatoes, which was not meant

again , an 8 , strong song, but it can become a classic in my rating, but
also can become an average one, live it's not that good, skipt it

:confused:

I gave it a 9, I'd put this in my top 10 Moz solo tracks. Love how it flows as a rocker, Moz's voice on it is just perfect and I am quite fond of the lyrics.

Very good, some of the best lyrics on Refusal - 'The motion of Taxis excite me when you peel it back and bite me', 'I know by now you think I should have straightened myself out - thankyou, drop dead.'. Great vocal delivery too. 8.

Nine. An immediate favorite on the first listens, and it hasn't faded. Simply very compelling, perhaps the best rock song he has produced through his solo career. Very good vocals, and good lyrics.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom