The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 240: BECAUSE OF MY POOR EDUCATION

How do you rate Because Of My Poor Education?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, we put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and the result was The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released since. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

Song 240: Because Of My Poor Education

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 239: Shame Is The Name
Part 238: I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris
Part 237: My Dearest Love
Part 236: Drive-In Saturday
Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this song. Why did he skip it yesterday evening?:(

Alas. The 4 poofs and a piano track. Afraid it was Instant Allergy. Worked perfectly, then.:p Had to listen to heavy metal for days to clean my ears after that...

For me it's a 1. :D

Don't think you can like rocking numbers and stuff like that unless you're two doggies at once (and one of them is gay.) :)

I think it's gorgeous! It has a "Hunky Dory" feel to it.
The line "A ship lost inches away from the bay" reminds me of the title track "Seasick yet still dock". A solid 8 for me.

Half of a great song. Needed more time to ripen.
A few good moments, but not enough.

I gave five but maybe a six.

a feeble melody, duff clichéd lyrics, this is what b-sides should sound like. on the current voting, it's rightly destined to be in the bottom 50 out of his 250+ song repertoire.
why on earth Moz chose to include this in the live set recently is baffling - let's hope it now stays out for good.

Last edited:
Not one of my favorites but still a nice song - give it a 7

Also, I enjoyed that we played this one at the gig I attended - much better that Daddy's voice, which I don't particularly like - the lyrics are fun but somehow the music... :blushing:

Bump, let's keep the right song on top of the list...

Final B-side we're going to do, by the way.

This is a great song. I love the vocal and the sound. It's a different style for him and I think it really works.

Why the hate for this song???!

'Because of this strange indentation, i live my life without affection'
'kind hearted view me and say, Thank God That's Not Me'
'A ship lost inches away from the bay'

I like it.

Why the hate for this song???!

'Because of this strange indentation, i live my life without affection'
'kind hearted view me and say, Thank God That's Not Me'
'A ship lost inches away from the bay'

I like it.

More than half the vote went to good/really good, so I don't think there's much hatred about.

I gave it six: okay. It's a song of really great moments (those you mentioned, in particular) but it just didn't come together for me.

That said, I have a habit of not listening to songs for years because I'm simply not drawn to them, then I'll hear them by chance one day and think "Wow, this is amazing! How could I have been so wrong?"

I recently had that experience with 'America is Not the World'. I'd previously dismissed it as Morrissey trying to be overtly political and falling on his face. The song seemed awkward and naive. And then I heard it on the radio and it seemed so beautiful, precisely because it was so awkard and naive. It's such a loving and honest song. When he sings, "For haven't you me with you now?" it's so tender and gently self-deprecating, it makes me smile every time I hear it.

I don't understand why there's so much dislike for this song either. But I also don't think it has anything to do with school - I think education refers to sexual or romantic experience. (Maybe that's really obvious? But I feel like a lot of people think it's about school).

Among other things I love the double meaning of "lie" in the line "this is my bed and I must lie."

It's lovely live although you can tell the casual fans are clueless when he sings it. The more 'educated' :p fans seemed to give it a really good reception though. My only complaint is I wish it were longer & had at least one more verse. Even so I give it an 8 & it's of my favorite recent B-sides.

Back
Top Bottom