The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 237: MY DEAREST LOVE

How do you rate My Dearest Love?

• Total voters
well, we looks like we have our first top 100 song from the post 2006 batch,
possibly top 50, and also possibly the highest ranking song of the 21st century...

Almost top 50, yes, but not quite the highest ranking song of the decade yet.

At a current average score of 8.81 it's currently 56th, and First of the Gang, Irish Blood and Pigsty are all top 50.

Still, it's great to see a new song doing so well.
This was the last of the 2008 released songs. The 2009 songs are next.

Sycophantic?

I think not.

It's one of the best songs he's ever written- this would hint at there being worse songs than this. Hence not exactly sycophantic.

Fanf***ingtastic, better than anything on YOR.

I think you people giving it a ten have had your standards systematically lowered over the years. If this is what constitutes genius Morrissey nowadays, that's just a sad sentiment.

I think you people giving it a ten have had your standards systematically lowered over the years. If this is what constitutes genius Morrissey nowadays, that's just a sad sentiment.
Hello
oscar50.jpg

I almost voted 10 (just to annoy you) but then I remembered that I don't hold with these polls. If I didn't object philosophically I would've given it a 9. 10 I reserve for 'Christian Dior' and the like. ;)
Are you truly in Bruges? Or is that just a reference to the sublime Martin McDonagh film from last year.

Hello
oscar50.jpg

I almost voted 10 (just to annoy you) but then I remembered that I don't hold with these polls. If I didn't object philosophically I would've given it a 9. 10 I reserve for 'Christian Dior' and the like. ;)
Are you truly in Bruges? Or is that just a reference to the sublime Martin McDonagh film from last year.

No, unfortunately not "In Bruges." :)Yes, a reference to the film. I really like the song, but I just cannot see how it matches the likes of "Now My Heart Is Full," "Speedway," "Seasick Yet Still Docked," etc.. Is it just because it is new, everyone must vote it a ten? It is just totally strange to me...

It isn't really a question of whether or not it "constitutes genius Morrissey". This is a song that really hits the spot for me (and, clearly, for quite a few others, too).

As for my standards being systematically lowered: there's no evidence for that. I fully accept that Morrissey has produced more than a handful of bad songs over the years, as to which ones they are... well, that's a matter of opinion. Isn't it?

Looking back over previous polls, there are people who think This is Not Your Country is perfect, and people who dislike Well, I Wonder.

It takes all sorts, eh?

I've been a fan since 2006. I gave "Boy With The Thorn" a 10, "On The Streets I Ran" a 6, "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" a 10 and "My Dearest Love" a 10. So where do I fit into the theory? ;)

Simple fact is, I love the song. Lyrically it's short, but not slight - it has the same to-the-pointness of songs like "Please Please Please" and "I Know Very Well ...". And the music is one of the best recent compositions. Added to that, a stunning vocal - I think his delivery of the second "chorus" is one of his best ever vocal performances (and that tinkling piano gives me chills every time).

But more than that, it just hits me right in the heart, and like "Paris", I've been listening to it over and over and over in recent months. So it gets a 10. :)

I've been a fan since 2006. I gave "Boy With The Thorn" a 10, "On The Streets I Ran" a 6, "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" a 10 and "My Dearest Love" a 10. So where do I fit into the theory? ;)

Simple fact is, I love the song. Lyrically it's short, but not slight - it has the same to-the-pointness of songs like "Please Please Please" and "I Know Very Well ...". And the music is one of the best recent compositions. Added to that, a stunning vocal - I think his delivery of the second "chorus" is one of his best ever vocal performances (and that tinkling piano gives me chills every time).

But more than that, it just hits me right in the heart, and like "Paris", I've been listening to it over and over and over in recent months. So it gets a 10. :)

*Applause.gif*

First off, I gave it an eight. I'm not bashing the song. I just don't see how one can give "How Soon Is Now" and all its undeniable brillance the same score as "My Dearest Love." It was one great lyric,
"Where the grotesquely lonely meet the grotesquely lonely
and they whisper
just very softly"

Beyond this is there really anything that hasn't been song better by Morrissey before? I disagree that "My Dearest Love" offers "stunning" vocals. Stunning to me is: "And there's a club if you'd like to go; you might meeet somebody who really loves you; but you go on your own; and you stand on your own; and leave on your own; and you go home and cry and you want to die." That was stunning.

A little context people.

First off, I gave it an eight. I'm not bashing the song. I just don't see how one can give "How Soon Is Now" and all its undeniable brillance the same score as "My Dearest Love." It was one great lyric,
and they whisper
just very softly"

Beyond this is there really anything that hasn't been song better by Morrissey before? I disagree that "My Dearest Love" offers "stunning" vocals. Stunning to me is: "And there's a club if you'd like to go; you might meeet somebody who really loves you; but you go on your own; and you stand on your own; and leave on your own; and you go home and cry and you want to die." That was stunning.

A little context people.

There you go.

and they whisper
just very softly"

A little context people.

you seem to be confusing vocals with lyrics - vocals is about the singing, not the words.

you seem to be confusing vocals with lyrics - vocals is about the singing, not the words.

So, now you are saying that Morrissey's current vocals are better than during his salad days. Really? I can't agree with that. Still, I gave the song an eight.

So, now you are saying that Morrissey's current vocals are better than during his salad days. Really? I can't agree with that. Still, I gave the song an eight.

Err, can you remind me where I said that? Someone else said the vocals on this song were great, and then you start banging on about the lyrics.

Love Talk Talk, can't stand lazy shoplifters. it's a 7 (deadly sinful, like.) (nah.)

10 for me. Love love love it. Vocals are dreamy. Especially "I have hung on, hung on, hung on...." makes my stomach go all tense.

I really like the song, but I just cannot see how it matches the likes of "Now My Heart Is Full," "Speedway," "Seasick Yet Still Docked," etc.. Is it just because it is new, everyone must vote it a ten? It is just totally strange to me...

The problem with your argument is that because you don't consider the song a ten, it's unthinkable that other people should do so, therefore they must be sycophants. I don't care for this particular song, and contrary to the majority I don't think "Seasick..." is anywhere near a ten either. That's my opinion, but I wouldn't consider you a sycophant for loving either song. Loving or disliking a song is a personal thing, not an exact science.

Back
Top Bottom