The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 236: DRIVE-IN SATURDAY

How do you rate Drive-In Saturday?

• Total voters

Houdini

In 2007, and early 2008, I put up polls for all 234 then released Morrissey and The Smiths-songs. More than 25,000 votes were cast and this resulted in The Morrissey/Smiths Top 100, or indeed, The Morrissey/The Smiths Top 234. This year many people have asked me to continue with the polls as since the last one 18 new Morrissey-songs have been released. With the release of 'Swords' now seems as good a time as any to start them.

So here it goes. Let's hope for as big a turn-out as in 2007, and once again, vote with your heart, not with your mind.

Song 236: DRIVE-IN SATURDAY, listen here

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Perfection
9: Near perfect, brilliant
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He should be ashamed

Previous polls (voting will remain open):

Part 235: Children In Pieces
Part 234: That's How People Grow Up
Part 233: All You Need Is Me
Part 232 and previous

Morrissey has been my favourite musical artist for a long time. Drive-in-Saturday is my all-time favourite Bowie song. So, a match made in heaven.

...only it isn't. I don't know why, something about the performance seems so weak and wrong. So many other covers he's done have been stupendous.

Cover versions traditionally do poorly in these polls, and this one is no exception it seems.

Only No One Can Hold A Candle came close to the overall Top 100 (at 108), all the others are somewhere between 150 and 232 in the overall chart.

Cover versions traditionally do poorly in these polls, and this one is no exception it seems.

Only No One Can Hold A Candle came close to the overall Top 100 (at 108), all the others are somewhere between 150 and 232 in the overall chart.

Depends on the song.. this one is meh.. Human Being is meh.. Floorboards, That's Entertainment, Candle... awesome.

Poor show. Lacks the passion of the original. Shame Boz didn't play the sax during the performances, that may have brought it up a bit.

a 6

not the best track to cover from Bowie,but I gave it 1 point extra for
choosing , for Morrissey/music fans, an unknown song, I mean it wasn't a single, yopu had to be a bit of a Bowie fan to know this song
I never heard it before, of was aware of it existence

It is my understanding that this song was never released as a studio version? correct? that also is why some may not like it. it would be great to hear a studio attempt at this cover. But morrissey is done with it i'm sure.

It is my understanding that this song was never released as a studio version? correct? that also is why some may not like it. it would be great to hear a studio attempt at this cover. But morrissey is done with it i'm sure.

I do love Bowie's early stuff, and I agree, a studio version would be very interesting to hear, we do have to remember that Moz is just having a a play about with it on stage, as so very often he does.

I would have loved to have been there and joined in though, sounds fun if nothing else :)

One of his finest covers. Can't help but love it. Gave it a 9 based on his covers in general.

i gave it a 9, i recognised it vaguely, im not into bowie, i love moz's voice on it, sounds like he's really enjoying it. xx

Good Bowie cover sung with passion. His hero is mentioned in that song, he had to cover it at some point.

In the original Bowie-version Mick Jagger is mentioned, not Johansen. Moz changed the lyrics there.

Back
Top Bottom