The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 227: YOU KNOW I COULDN'T LAST

How do you rate You Know I Couldn't Last?

• Total voters
I lurve that part too! I don't think he hit the high note on 'squalor' live, tho :mad: :p I also like "don't let the blue eyes fool you" (that's very 'me' :rolleyes:) and how the lines build up a bit of 'rage' -he's gonna getcha!

I like the change in music, it's like two songs in one. The lyrics are funny and ring true (I love the teenagers will wake up, yawn and kill you) and it does make a good album closer. Thanks for 'lasting', Morrissey ... I know it must be so tough (lolz)

Yes, this song works for me on several levels too. The lyrics are funny but sadly poignant: here is this really bright man whose very existence is built upon the fickle whims of teenagers. How tragic?

To the other posts, I disagree it doesn't rank up there with other album closers. It was the perfect way to close that album at that time in his career.

Not one of my faves, but like others are mentioning a good closer for YATQ. Gets a 7 from me.

Quite a few memorably quotable lines. Lotsa passion in the chorus. I too learned a new word (gotta love a song that sends you to the dictionary – like THAT happens very often nowadays).

I also like "don't let the blue eyes fool you" (that's very 'me' :rolleyes:)
Yep, that's one of my lines too! ;)

"Every 'ist and every 'ism thrown my way to stay." Hmmm, sadly yes indeed ... very timely yet again given the recent NME debacle.

But alas, dear Moz, I'll take you home any day. Sorry, had to say it ... can't believe I beat Corrissey to it!

Back
Top Bottom