The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 22: BILLY BUDD

How do you rate Billy Budd?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: BILLY BUDD

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

We have a new number 1!
And the entire top-5 is Smiths now.
The top-21 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Bigmouth Strikes Again, rating: 9,47
2) Asleep, rating so far: 9,01
3) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,89
4) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,49
5) Ask, rating: 8,39
6) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,38
7) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,29
8) Barbarism Begins At Home, rating: 8,15
9) Alma Matters, rating: 7,75
10) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,58
11) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,52
12) Bengali In Platforms, rating: 7,26
13) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,21
14) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,85
15) At Amber, rating: 6,78
16) Best Friend On The Payroll, rating: 6,69
17) Asian Rut, rating: 6,65
18) Ammunition, rating 6,64
19) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,43
20) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,40
21) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,17

I think the way to go would be to take the number that most people vote for rather than averaging all numbers. I looked up the following terms for myself having forgotten exactly their meanings.

mean The sum of a list of numbers, divided by the total number of numbers in the list. Also called arithmetic mean

median "Middle value" of a list. The smallest number such that at least half the numbers in the list are no greater than it. If the list has an odd number of entries, the median is the middle entry in the list after sorting the list into increasing order. If the list has an even number of entries, the median is equal to the sum of the two middle (after sorting) numbers divided by two. The median can be estimated from a histogram by finding the smallest number such that the area under the histogram to the left of that number is 50%

mode For lists, the mode is the most common (frequent) value. A list can have more than one mode. For histograms, a mode is a relative maximum ("bump"). A data set has no mode when all the numbers appear in the data with the same frequency. A data set has multiple modes when two or more values appear with the same frequency.

I think the way to go would be to take the number that most people vote for rather than averaging all numbers. I looked up the following terms for myself having forgotten exactly their meanings.

mean The sum of a list of numbers, divided by the total number of numbers in the list. Also called arithmetic mean

median "Middle value" of a list. The smallest number such that at least half the numbers in the list are no greater than it. If the list has an odd number of entries, the median is the middle entry in the list after sorting the list into increasing order. If the list has an even number of entries, the median is equal to the sum of the two middle (after sorting) numbers divided by two. The median can be estimated from a histogram by finding the smallest number such that the area under the histogram to the left of that number is 50%

mode For lists, the mode is the most common (frequent) value. A list can have more than one mode. For histograms, a mode is a relative maximum ("bump"). A data set has no mode when all the numbers appear in the data with the same frequency. A data set has multiple modes when two or more values appear with the same frequency.

Dave did you really just write, "blah bla bla bla bla" cause thats what it looks like to me... :confused: ha ha :p

i like the story too, no surprise there :rolleyes:
beautravail.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Budd_(novella)
a real good version of the tale is
Beau_travail_dvd.jpg

pt 1
she's dead
pt 2
the comment about the film was in regards to its cinematography
pt 3
dudes aint my thing really, however :o
ahh, 4get it...

pt 1
I know, but that doesn't mean that Marilyn Monroe was not just because she's now dead
pt 2
I'm know, hence the smiley next to my statement
pt 3
I know that also, never thought they were, and they aren't mine:rolleyes:

and how come all the lazy dykes have even less points now? :( :p

That's because the poll, as all the others, is still open, so its rating may fluctuate from day to day, although as I said before, once a song has received 40 votes or so it will have an established rating which will only change by the hundredths rather than tenths.

That's because the poll, as all the others, is still open, so its rating may fluctuate from day to day, although as I said before, once a song has received 40 votes or so it will have an established rating which will only change by the hundredths rather than tenths.

yes I know. I was only wondering who voted under 6 :( :p
And may I also say that this poll is a brilliant idea! I'm so excited to see which song will win. I hope it's not HSIN?
:rolleyes:

^^^

Hey, what's wrong with How Soon Is Now? This song is more than just a classic brilliant song, it is a anthem for........

Why wait, here's my vote on that one [10]

And may I also say that this poll is a brilliant idea! I'm so excited to see which song will win. I hope it's not HSIN?
:rolleyes:

Thanks.
If last year's poll on the best Morrissey and Smiths-songs is anything to go by I'd put my money on There Is A Light or Everyday Is Like Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom