The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 203: TO ME YOU ARE A WORK OF ART

How do you rate To Me You Are A Work Of Art?

• Total voters
a 6

ROTT
10 in a pack one
this is one of those songs on ROTT I wrote about it a lot, so I leave it
with this, than saying Boz can write this kinda tunes 10 times a day, even
while taking a bath

dunno if it's a Boz song but its metaophoric way of writing, I bet itsa Jesse song

it's not as good as 'life is a pigsty'.

A solid six - nothing particuarly bad, but nothing that would win over a non-Moz/Smiths fan - which is how I rate 7's and aboves.

Though I do love the "that's if I ha-ha-ha-haddddd onnnnnneee, haddd onnnne....EERRRRGGGGHHHHH!" from the live version

This song often floats gently around in my mind. I know not everybody would agree, but I think Visconti's production is extremely sensitive, layering sounds to allow Morrissey's voice to dominate – with beautiful backing vocals by (I imagine) Alain. The musical accompaniment hangs gorgeously off Morrissey's words with the gentle slide guitar, piano and strings flowing sublimely over the other guitars.

Yes, I agree with others that I wish he hadn't used the P*** word. It doesn't fit to the beauty of the song. Though I suspect that he might say that that is the point.

Nevertheless this song is a veritable work of art –
and I am very happy to give it a 10!

7/10.... ozzes averageness....​

An okay song. It seemed to have potential to be a really beautiful bittersweet tune, but then that one line comes up and it all falls apart. I cringe to hear Moz singing the line "I see the world, it makes me puke". I personally think it beats even the literary genius of the poetic gem "How Can Anybody.......", "I've had my face dragged in 15 miles of shit and I do not, and I do not, and I do not like it" *groans*

I find it truly boring. Apart from the lines
"I see the world
It makes me puke
But then I look at you and know
That somewhere there's a someone who can soothe me".

could've been a great song but, yes, that lyric is flipping awful. lazy, ugly and dim.
in the old days, Morrissey lyrics made you think or laugh; too many recent ones just make you wince.
the music ain't bad. like the strings and the guitar work in the musical interlude bit, and the vocal melody's nice in places. but overall a 6.

I met a lady (tall and smiley with a fringe!) at the ‘Star and Garter’ disco who thought this was the best song on ROTT. Unbelievable!

could've been a great song but, yes, that lyric is flipping awful. lazy, ugly and dim.
in the old days, Morrissey lyrics made you think or laugh; too many recent ones just make you wince.
the music ain't bad. like the strings and the guitar work in the musical interlude bit, and the vocal melody's nice in places. but overall a 6.

I met a lady (tall and smiley with a fringe!) at the ‘Star and Garter’ disco who thought this was the best song on ROTT. Unbelievable!

:eek: :rolleyes:

Enh. It has its moments. But it also has puke. So I gave it a slightly-grudging 7.

--jeniphir

Last edited:
I love this song, I don't even mind this line that everyone seems to hate :). And the music is so beautiful.
I gave it a 8, but it was a 8.5...

Back
Top Bottom