The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 201: THIS IS NOT YOUR COUNTRY

How do you rate This Is Not Your Country?

• Total voters
I've never understood the antipathy fans have shown for this song. It seems whenever Morrissey sings about politics there is a collective yawn, or "Billy Bragg is better at it." This is a terrific tune. Yes, it is about Northern Ireland, but it could just as well be Baghdad or Sarajevo.

"A short walk home, becomes a run..." The mundane simplicities of everyday life take on life or death connotations. Touching in all the right places (down Corrissey, down!). ;-)

"And this Peugeot ad spins round in my head..."

The endless cycle of violence, great metaphor.

A hearty EIGHT.

-Vaux

Yes, the memory is kicking me, I know what I promised.
This is an interesting song.
a) this is a one-off song. See from whatever angle, there aren't more like it.
b) it has its well-recognizable musical atmosphere.
c) is bleak, relentless and caustic in lyrics and voice.
d) it tackles explicitly some of the issues that usually serve as a context.
e) it provokes on several levels.

Cheers.
(The sun sets on those who don't ride into it)

Extremely weak song with laughably unbelievable lyrics. Morrissey is always at his best when he sings about himself - when he tries to take on a different perspective like with this song he fails miserably. A 5.

I politely disagree. What would you consider "laughably unbelievable lyrics?"

Thanks,

Vaux

The Peugeot ad is a wonderful metaphor. It is essentially restating "30 years could be a thousand." Peugeot came out with a tire that was bullet resistance or essentially could never go flat after a series of unsuccessful assassination attempts on Charles De Gaulle. The circle of violence, i.e. the tire simply spins forever all the while the BBC scum tells us everything is fine and under control. Sorry to some of the other posters, but I'm just not seeing the weakness in the lyrics...

I would be stupid to argue about an opinion of a song. Given that, here goes...

I think that the music and the manner the song is sung in fit the lyrics and intent perfectly. This song is in my top 10 if not top 5.

"Armoured cars Corrugated scars" - the tin siding stuck over damaged buildings. It sounds like it's about Ireland?

"30 years could be a thousand". It's another song about how life changes, Compare with "the wind blows bits of your life away". It's an essential song as much as it describes and embellishes an understanding of Morrissey's view of the world.

Anyway, if you think this song is dull, I don't think you are really hearing it. It's not even subtle.

What is the Peugeot Ad? I think someone once explained that, maybe on this site?

The Peugeot ad is a wonderful metaphor. It is essentially restating "30 years could be a thousand." Peugeot came out with a tire that was bullet resistance or essentially could never go flat after a series of unsuccessful assassination attempts on Charles De Gaulle. The circle of violence, i.e. the tire simply spins forever all the while the BBC scum tells us everything is fine and under control. Sorry to some of the other posters, but I'm just not seeing the weakness in the lyrics...

Thanks for explaining that Peugeot ad line. :)

I don't know if anyone will get similar results but when I Googled the lyrics to this song the first thing that came up was "Morrissey-solo | "This Is Not Your Country" used in WTC attack ..."

No wonder he dislikes this site.

Hmm... as I said before the lyrics here are probably the strongest part of the song, but I don't think they're that strong. It's an interesting Morrissey song, can't think of one with lyrics quite like it; but I don't think they're necessarily good. There's some very nice images, but it's a bit one-dimensional. It's all empathy and no insight.

As for the Peugeot ad, Morrissey's almost certainly referring those Peugeot 406 ads in the mid-90s, which actually featured images of war, individuals blocking tanks, etc with the strapline 'There is no such thing as an average person'.

I think it's as simple as that. I think it would be contrived even for Moz to hint at the perpetuity of violence by referencing tyres developed by Peugeot in response to assassination attempts on De Gaulle (who only used Citroens)!

Hmm... as I said before the lyrics here are probably the strongest part of the song, but I don't think they're that strong. It's an interesting Morrissey song, can't think of one with lyrics quite like it; but I don't think they're necessarily good. There's some very nice images, but it's a bit one-dimensional. It's all empathy and no insight.

"And I still don't know why"
A common man caught in political, media-backed cannibalism.

I don't know, what song other people hear. And I won't go into personal assessments, only - try and give this song a second listen.

"It's all empathy and no insight." I can't agree with you on that one. Actually, the opposite seems more factual. Look, I gave it an eight. I'm not saying it's a "classic," but it is dismissed so causally by a huge segment of his fan base which I find perplexing.

As for the Peugeot ad, that was explained to me by a friend who lived in Northern Ireland for 30+ years before immigrating to the U.S. The De Gaulle part could have been my embellishment, but it would not surprise me to hear Morrissey reference a decades old advert. He does like his nostalgia!

As for the Peugeot ad, Morrissey's almost certainly referring those Peugeot 406 ads in the mid-90s, which actually featured images of war, individuals blocking tanks, etc with the strapline 'There is no such thing as an average person'.

I think it's as simple as that. I think it would be contrived even for Moz to hint at the perpetuity of violence by referencing tyres developed by Peugeot in response to assassination attempts on De Gaulle (who only used Citroens)!

Back
Top Bottom