The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 198: THERE'S A PLACE IN HELL FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS

How do you rate There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends?

• Total voters
This is why I like you. See you in hell :)

I've been obsessed with this song lately and it's magic. Just heard it on my way home. Cranked way up. Just listen to the pure heaven in his vocals. And the accompanying piano and base?! *ugh* kill me. uncle.

I love that it follows End of the Family Line (another ALLTIMEFAVE of mine) but, the record should have ended there, on "...Hell" rather than ruin the vibe with Tony the Pony.

It's jarring, isn't it? I just listened to it again. But "Tony"'s only on the American releases, so just re-burn a CD without it.

an 8

along with [the better] 'the end of the family line' very good songs that
end the album Kill Uncle

musicly it's poor, but it suits Morrissey's emotional lyrics perfect, so in
fact the music is well produced by Langer&Winstanley concerning this song

strange pesonal point is that in general I love the live versions from
songs better, but for this song it's defenitely not, it was too upbeat and
bit too loud for this emotional song , I take the Kroq version from 1991
as example

also a song whom He should perform live again sometime soon

I've never heard a live version of this; will have to check it out. I gave it a 6, wanted to give it a 6.5. It's far from his best work, but clever in its way, and the music isn't awful.

--jeniphir

I thought this was one of the few tracks on Kill Uncle where the production suited the material. I still like the rockabillyized version better, but they both have their charms.

What's the story behind the lyrics, though? I've never seen any text about this track.

a nice little song. glad to see it's doing quite well.
more evidence that Mark Nevin was probably the most unfairly maligned solo-collaborator presumably because his stuff followed on immediately from the genius of the Morrissey Street compositions...

9/10. I love BOTH versions of this song. Slow & Fast....

4 for the Kill Uncle version, but 8 for the KROQ one. So I've averaged them.

Yeah, I give it an eight because the live version from the Johnny Carson show and the KROQ one kick ass. I love the rockabilly version of this song. The album track is still good. The lyric about "after we go we hope our blood and our skin and our bones don't get in your way making you ill much as they did when we lived" is pure Morrissey!!!

An eight because I adore the live version.:)

Yeah, I give it an eight because the live version from the Johnny Carson show and the KROQ one kick ass. I love the rockabilly version of this song. The album track is still good. The lyric about "after we go we hope our blood and our skin and our bones don't get in your way making you ill much as they did when we lived" is pure Morrissey!!!

An eight because I adore the live version.:)

Yes, pure Morrissey. Glad you like the studio version. It's me fave.

There is a place with a bit more time and a few more gentler words
And looking back we will forgive we had no choice we always did
His 'whispering' voice is pure buttah on that last line

Back
Top Bottom