The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 196: THERE IS A LIGHT THAT NEVER GOES OUT

How do you rate There Is A Light That Never Goes Out?

• Total voters
so what is the greatest smiths song?

hand%20in%20glove.jpeg

Last edited:
even played to death, how could it be anything else?

I don't know if this song really deserves a 10 or not. There are definitely better Smiths songs and even more better solo songs, but it can be simply one of the lower ones of the highest category. But is it though? I really can't tell anymore with how ridiculously popular it is. There certainly is something special about it that makes people go crazy over it so much, but I guess I just have a hard time giving this a 10 with how many other people giving it a 10 when I see a song I find to be a clearer 10 (like Ammunition or Lifeguard Sleeping or Death of a Disco Dancer) receiving much, much fewer 10s. So I'm so confused and not voting yet. :p

I don't know if this song really deserves a 10 or not. There are definitely better Smiths songs and even more better solo songs, but it can be simply one of the lower ones of the highest category. But is it though? I really can't tell anymore with how ridiculously popular it is. There certainly is something special about it that makes people go crazy over it so much, but I guess I just have a hard time giving this a 10 with how many other people giving it a 10 when I see a song I find to be a clearer 10 (like Ammunition or Lifeguard Sleeping or Death of a Disco Dancer) receiving much, much fewer 10s. So I'm so confused and not voting yet. :p

Your logic bewilders me but never let it be said you don't take the polls seriously. At what are you better than Marr, by the way? If guitar, I know of a middle-aged pop star who could use your services.

Your logic bewilders me but never let it be said you don't take the polls seriously. At what are you better than Marr, by the way? If guitar, I know of a middle-aged pop star who could use your services.

No I don't know of any particular field I excel at more so than Johnny Marr, though I do find the people in my avatar to be superior musicians and songwriters than him.

Well I try to take them more seriously recently having voted some songs lower than I felt I should have and some songs higher (more the latter than the former), I was in part responsible for these polls you know. ;) I remember Johan pointing out the possibility of people giving a song they like a 10 and a song they dislike a 1 so we came up with a specific value to each number. So I think the point is that you aren't voting on your own scale of 1 to 10, but each number is merely a symbol for the accompanying description that you think best fits the song. I've forgotten that a lot so I must say going by that this song is only a 9.

EDIT: Nah, if the only reason I find this to be a 9 is that I think it's disproportionately more popular than my underrated personal favorites that's not exactly fair so I cower to coincidentally accurate public opinion and give this song a 10. :p

Last edited:
i find the song hard to listen to because it has painful associations for me. also i must have listened to it thousands of times, it plays on a loop in my head.

That's what I thought. In that case, you should mention it in the "Morrissey/Smiths songs you can't bear?" thread and write about it. It'd be nice for that thread to get back on topic, even though it's hasn't been bumped for a long time.

Your increasingly pithy responses are becoming the best reason to visit this forum.

Do you think that Mrs. NRitH would change her opinion of my time here if she saw your quote? Nah, I didn't think so, either. But thanks--that was a very kind thing to say, as long as I don't interpret it as saying that my older responses weren't pithy. ;)

Last edited:
I have many memories of this song : Buying the queen is dead on day of release along with the original t shirt with the cover on grey t ! going home and listening to it all day on the day my sister was going on holiday to ibiza (also the same day there was a england world cup game on - anyone remeber who they we're playing ?) fast forward 15 years - The albert hall in 2001 - up in the gods and the first notes starting and everyone standing up and the whole place singing along - a real back of the neck moment ! anything other than a 10 is a joke

depends on my mood ! "please please.." - "back to the old house" - "i know its over" - "i keep mine hidden" ( joke )

I give it 11 out of 10.
This song introduced me to The Smiths.

Yeah, it's a little overplayed, but it's f***ing genius. It's the most romantic song I've ever heard.

Last edited:

chappelle-4.jpg

When I saw you were the most recent poster in here I knew you would take issue with the Lifeguard reference, then I remembered how you don't care for Disco Dancer either. ;)

haha, well yes, not a big fan of Lifeguard at all. i must say though, that after hearing Disco Dancer live, i appreciate it alot more. I like Ammunition, but i dont think any of the songs you listed are even in the same ballpark as There is a Light. I pretty much think you're insane, but it's nothing personal, haha. ;)

that being said, I truly believe that There is a Light is the best song Moz ever wrote. It's my favorite song ever. I think its THE most morbidly beautiful song ever written. I mean, what greater way to convey to someone how much you love them, then to say it would be an honor to die by their side? I just cant even describe in words how much I love this song and how much it means to me. I'm still kicking myself for not being able to make it to any of the '04 shows and missing out on hearing this live. When I do *crosses fingers* it just might be the greatest 4 minutes of my life. I'd give this song 100 if i could.

Back
Top Bottom