The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 195: THE YOUNGEST WAS THE MOST LOVED

How do you rate The Youngest Was The Most Loved?

• Total voters
I like it quite a bit. As previously mentioned, one of the best songs on Ringleader. I prefer the song live (both hearing it in person and some of the live versions released digitally) because the children's chorus is not as evident.

I gave it a 8. Wasn't very fond of this song in the beginning, but it grew on me. And I like the children's choir, I think it makes the song more interesting.
Still there are much better songs on ROTT, in my opinion...

I loved this song a lot when I first heard it. Something about that "There is no such thing in life as normal" chorus really made me happy. But then, the more I listened to it, the more annoyed I became with the fact that Morrissey, once again, refused to finish the lyric. This subject matter - the romance of crime - is one of Morrissey's favorites, so why doesn't he have more interesting things to say about The Youngest and why he became a killer? Or at least elaborate on his crimes? He is content to simply repeat the same trite lines ("the youngest was the most loved, the youngest was the cherub") and call it a day. At least "The Father Who Must Be Killed" is a complete lyric. Detail, detail, detail - that is what is missing from so many of Morrissey's recent creations! I'll give it a 7 for my initial elation, but it could have been so much more.

I love wierd intro noises before the song comes in,sounds like a owl.

Good album track. I also like the sound, and whole idea, of the kids plaintive refrain of "there is no such thing in life as normal". It's a very good Moz-solo moment. As with most Jesse tracks, the forward thrust is good but the music is lacking any surprises. I like how the guitar echoes the euro-sirens at the beginning.

The video, also a little too simple, is good as a record of Moz and the boys at that time.

I also like ROTT better than Quarry, but not when b-sides are factored in.

7/10

Oh, and how many more songs are there before the voting ends?? And what's currently in the top 3?

Edit: forgot to mention Moz' yodelling -- it's great!

Last edited:
Oh, and how many more songs are there before the voting ends??

232 songs in total and we're at 195 now, so that leaves 37 songs yet to come.

And what's currently in the top 3?

Now My Heart Is Full was in the lead when I last updated the chart, but in recent weeks these songs have come real close:
Speedway
Still Ill
Suedehead
The Headmaster Ritual
The Last Of The Famous International Playboys
The Queen Is Dead

And some great ones coming up in the following weeks, including one right now :)

isnt it about time we had There is a light that never goes out?

Hahahaha, someone had to give it a 10. Unfortunately, I'm sure that it will get more, and they won't be due to user error.

A solid ten. Vocally the closest Morrissey has sounded since his days fronting The Smiths. The children's choir is genius, the irony of the lyrics juxtaposed against the children's choir is brilliant. The video is spot on Morrissey's best. I know I'm going to be hammered here, but I cannot understand the hate this song engenders. I mean I bet "Black Eyed Susan" got more 10's than this will.

A solid ten. Vocally the closest Morrissey has sounded since his days fronting The Smiths. The children's choir is genius, the irony of the lyrics juxtaposed against the children's choir is brilliant. The video is spot on Morrissey's best. I know I'm going to be hammered here, but I cannot understand the hate this song engenders. I mean I bet "Black Eyed Susan" got more 10's than this will.

iloled-pam.jpg

8/10. By far the strongest single from Tormentors.....​

Back
Top Bottom