The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 190: THE ORDINARY BOYS

How do you rate The Ordinary Boys?

• Total voters
The frankly shocking amounts of 10s granted to this truly boring piece of music really is further evidence of why this top 100 is irrelevant. While I love the album Viva Hate this seems more in place on Kill Uncle. Wether it be a truly boring music track that is pitifully generic and amaturish or the vocal recording from Morrissey that if it wasnt so overdone would put one to sleep. So despite the prior attackers of YATQ and ROT defense of this track it just goes to prove that many people on these forums will just defend a track because it is classic Mozz. When indeed the two most recent albums are in many respects masterpieces especially when stacked up against amaturish moanings like this...in fact I'd go so far to say as I find Sweetie Pie a more enjoyable song

When I learned that Morrissey was going to utilize a keyboard player for the 2004 tour, I thought this was almost certainly a shoe-in to be played. The lyrics seem as emblematic of his life now as then. Whilst he may flit about Europe and seemingly has every ounce of freedom, he doesn't have his life "laid out before [him]." I'm sure at times he feels this would be a comfort to him.

I've felt that the slow sway, simple chords, and sparse arrangement were intended to reinforce the central theme of the lyrics. Lyrically, I always felt it was a companion piece to Break Up the Family: the other option, as it were. Maybe it happened to be one of Street's more uninspired comps, but, somehow, the string arrangement holds it up. I also like how it fades to the monotonous drum track--couldn't seal the theme of the song up more perfectly. I find the musical backing to I Don't Mind If You Forget Me and Dial-a-Cliche infinitely more lacking than this.

Cheers,

Jamie

a7

more than 'just a ' song from Viva Hate, or 'a filler track' , its just an
ordinary song, nothing to moan, nothing to praise.

though a few lines of the lyrics are veer good IMHO

Last edited:
The frankly shocking amounts of 10s granted to this truly boring piece of music really is further evidence of why this top 100 is irrelevant.

I agree. 10s for this??? Come on its pretty ropey.

And to make matters worse one of the worst bands that I ever had the misfortune of seeing live are named after it.

And really people I don't think Morrissey is trying to empathise with the protaganist but is more likely taking the mick.... but then the music hardly helps hinder this belief.

The frankly shocking amounts of 10s granted to this truly boring piece of music really is further evidence of why this top 100 is irrelevant. While I love the album Viva Hate this seems more in place on Kill Uncle. Wether it be a truly boring music track that is pitifully generic and amaturish or the vocal recording from Morrissey that if it wasnt so overdone would put one to sleep. So despite the prior attackers of YATQ and ROT defense of this track it just goes to prove that many people on these forums will just defend a track because it is classic Mozz. When indeed the two most recent albums are in many respects masterpieces especially when stacked up against amaturish moanings like this...in fact I'd go so far to say as I find Sweetie Pie a more enjoyable song

The number of 10s is not really important. It's the overall average mark. Ordinary Boys will be well down the list maybe getting around an 8.
Far from being irrelevant, this top 100 exercise is probably the most useful assessment of the Morrissey/Smiths back catalogue that has ever taken place...

7/10. A decent song but a bit whiney.

The number of 10s is not really important. It's the overall average mark. Ordinary Boys will be well down the list maybe getting around an 8.
Far from being irrelevant, this top 100 exercise is probably the most useful assessment of the Morrissey/Smiths back catalogue that has ever taken place...

Indeed though the number of tens do matter because we get a hyper inflation on the score that is not purely subjective towards the piece of music

this song reinforced the fight in me to be different to not just accept a 'normal' life.
i give it an 8 purely because of the lyrics, it is so spot on and so true, as they are "so lucckky, so lucky" they have shitty meaningless exsistences but they are happy with this and will never question it/be depressed by it so in this respect they are lucky. unlike the rest of us who can see the world and humankind for what it is, and not fail to be totally and despairingly depressed by it all.

A boring, forgettable dirge. 4.

--jeniphir

Back
Top Bottom