The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 19: BENGALI IN PLATFORMS

How do you rate Bengali In Platforms?

• Total voters

Houdini

While we wait for the new album to arrive, let us go about rating the songs we know, on a daily basis, and compile our own Morrissey/Smiths Top 100.

And instead of chronologically, let's do them alphabetically.

Song for Today: BENGALI IN PLATFORMS

Voting should be something along these lines:
10: Classic
9: Near classic, f***ing brilliant anyway
8: Really good Moz/Smiths song
7: Good Moz/Smiths song
6: Decent, OK, Nothing special
5: Uninspired
4: Poor
3: Bad
2: Should never have been released
1: He/They should be ashamed

The top-18 so far (voting will remain open, click to vote):

1) Asleep, rating so far: 8,96
2) A Rush And A Push And The Land Is Ours, rating: 8,85
3) Back To The Old House, rating: 8,55
4) Angel, Angel, Down We Go Together, rating: 8,40
5) Ask, rating: 8,39
6) Alsatian Cousin, rating: 8,24
7) Barbarism Begins At Home, rating: 8,13
8) Alma Matters, rating: 7,73
9) A Swallow On My Neck, rating: 7,60
10) Accept Yourself, rating: 7,51
11) A Song From Under The Floorboards, rating: 7,22
12) At Amber, rating: 6,82
13) At Last I Am Born, rating: 6,80
14) Asian Rut, rating: 6,71
15) Ammunition, rating 6,58
16) Ambitious Outsiders, rating: 6,50
17) America Is Not The World, rating: 6,44
18) All The Lazy Dykes, rating: 6,13

7. An oddity, one might say.

Technical question: is this Top poll going to be closed at certain moment, when we're through the songs (regarding different time one can vote for the songs)? Like, the first to be shut down first?

Technical question: is this Top poll going to be closed at certain moment, when we're through the songs (regarding different time one can vote for the songs)? Like, the first to be shut down first?

Good question. The polls have received a varying number of votes so far, from 52 (Ambitious Outsiders) to 112 (A Rush and A Push...).

I have noticed that ratings don't actually change a lot once there are more than 30 votes (hundredths in stead of tenths), so I think that all songs have established ratings now, whether they will be open for another week or another year.

I will give the final song enough time to receive its rating before publishing the final results.

Thanks for the answer. If the trait stays the same (the stability), so there's indeed no problems for the songs in the second half of the list. Let's see how it will evolve in the future.

i thought this rating of every single song was gonna be a bit boring at first, but it's actually quite fun aint it!!

I gave it 8, good song, Rogan said its insensitive but i'm not so sure

come now, its classic morrissey!

I always felt back in 1988 that this should of been the 3rd song released from the Viva Hate album, glad it wasn't as we keep it for ourselves, a resounding 7from me.

This is one of those songs for me. I love the music, I love the melody, I love Morrissey's vocals, I think it's catchy and fun. But lyrically... it makes me very uncomfortable to sing along with lyrics like, "Shelve your Western plans and understand that life is hard enough when you belong here." I don't think Morrissey is a racist, but racists could very easily sing along with lyrics like those and mean it, man. I'd still give this one an 8... but an uncomfortable 8.

Back
Top Bottom