The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 188: THE NEVER PLAYED SYMPHONIES

How do you rate The Never Played Symphonies?

• Total voters
I think imagining yourself on your deathbed and thinking of the missed opportunities is a dodgy concept to begin with but that line about the ditches...

I'm balancing life's riches against the ditches
and the flat gray years in between

That's not very good, is it?

When he sings

You were one, you meant to be one

I think of "you were the only one, who's come and gone" from "I know very well how I got my name", the Viva Hate outtake of which is my current Morrissey song obsession, and it puts this song to shame.

It sounds like a 13 year old girl tried to write a Morrissey song.

I love both those parts that you single out there Dave.

I'm sorry, I was trying to provoke discussion, but I didn't really want to offend anyone or put Morrissey down, because he gets enough of that here anyway. I would retract my last line.

Anyway, I pretty much stick with the rest of it, but this isn't really my kind of song. I do like Asleep, Never Had No One Ever, and most of his other slow sad songs, but from the Quarry B-sides, I thought the rockers were good but didn't like this or Friday Mourning at all.

I think he's done the same idea better at least two or three times, the words are clumsy, and I don't care for it at all really. Sometimes when I don't like one I don't vote, but I gave a 4 to balance out the 10's.

I think imagining yourself on your deathbed and thinking of the missed opportunities is a dodgy concept to begin with but that line about the ditches...

When he sings

I think of "you were the only one, who's come and gone" from "I know very well how I got my name", the Viva Hate outtake of which is my current Morrissey song obsession, and it puts this song to shame.

I'm gonna have to agree. I ADORE "I know very well..." this song is just okay. can't believe its getting 10's. I'd give it a 6 or so. I do like Friday Mourning better.

A song of quite uncommon beauty!
So some people don't like the lyrics but can anyone really deny the power of the music?
Possibly, the most gorgeously melodic backing track he's ever sung along to and, best of all, there isn't a single guitar on the song.
Gone is the fuzzy, generic, meandering, indie-guitar sludge that has so plagued the post-Vauxhall years and, in its place, a beautiful lilting keyboard line above which Morrissey sings what is surely the simplest and purest melody in his entire 232 song repertoire.
Mr Alain Edgar Whyte should be knighted for writing this piece of music alone!

I think he's done the same idea better at least two or three times, the words are clumsy, and I don't care for it at all really. Sometimes when I don't like one I don't vote, but I gave a 4 to balance out the 10's.

When he sings

At last, a voice of reason amid all the 10's. I agree with everything you say, Dave. Here's the primary difference between this song and masterpieces like "I Know It's Over," "Asleep," and "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name": With "Never-Played," he sounds like an actor playing a role; with those earlier songs, he sounds like someone living the role. It's genuine emotion vs. artificial emotion. "Never-Played" is completely unconvincing.

At last, a voice of reason amid all the 10's. I agree with everything you say, Dave. Here's the primary difference between this song and masterpieces like "I Know It's Over," "Asleep," and "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name": With "Never-Played," he sounds like an actor playing a role; with those earlier songs, he sounds like someone living the role. It's genuine emotion vs. artificial emotion. "Never-Played" is completely unconvincing.
And I couldn't disagree more. I think that 'Never played symphonies' is one of the most personal songs Morrissey has ever written - full of genuine emotion and also a testament to the unique relationship he has with his fans.

Putting it up against 'I know it's over' and 'Asleep' is a tough match for any song of course, but I find this to be one of those where such a comparison even makes sense.

I don't understand why this song is so much loved. I think it is Ok, but there is nothing special here. It is far from being a masterpiece. Morrissey has had many incredible songs, :)and TNPS doesn't belong in that category. It is sugar-coaty. :rolleyes:To be honest, I think that song is a little stupid.:rolleyes: (Sorry, that is just my humble opinion).

though Why don't you find out... is my fav, This one is to me his best song ever. It's one amazing piece of music. I mean hats off good.

Has he ever played this live?

It's pointless to argue especially if you're trying to tell people that a song they like is >average, but I'm pretty surprised how many people gave this a 10. Yikes!

That means that it's as good as any other song he has done doesn't it? It looks like this will make the top 100. I will be curious to see what song it bumps off the list.

Has he ever played this live?

It's pointless to argue especially if you're trying to tell people that a song they like is >average, but I'm pretty surprised how many people gave this a 10. Yikes!

That means that it's as good as any other song he has done doesn't it? It looks like this will make the top 100. I will be curious to see what song it bumps off the list.
No it obviously does not mean that. It means that 10 is the most apt rating for this particular song, but says nothing about how it ranks compared to the other songs that deserve a 10.

Now I've given it an 8, I wish I'd given it a 9. I particularly like the nudge-nudge/jokey ". . .that's 'the never-played'. . .symphonies" bits--a gently witty lyric. Some bits of this song are better than other bits, but I dunno. It's sweet.

--jeniphir

No it obviously does not mean that. It means that 10 is the most apt rating for this particular song, but says nothing about how it ranks compared to the other songs that deserve a 10.

Hang on Billy. There is a Top 100 so some songs are going to be eliminated. Any way you slice it, we are placing songs in competition.

You're right in a way, though, because I don't compare songs of I think it's a 10. I think there may be greater and lesser 10's. But if something is just pretty good then I compare it to "You've Got Everything Now" or "Nobody Loves Us" or "Late Night, Maudlin Street", which are all some of Morrissey's strongest songs in my opinion.

I had heard so much about this song...so I paid $17 import for it...& its ok...but thats about it. I listened to it the other night to try & understand why some like it so much. But again, its really only a 7 for me. It seems to be trying to be more than it is.

Although, I do happen to like the "not literally, but metaphorically" line

It looks like this will make the top 100. I will be curious to see what song it bumps off the list.

With a current average rating of 8,40 it looks indeed like it is certain of a Top-100 placing. It has the exact same rating as fellow Quarry b-side Friday Mourning...

It will be interesting to see what rating a song requires to make the Top 100. Initially I thought an 8 would get you there, but it now looks like you need at least an 8.20 or 8.30 to make the final 100.

I ADORE this song,
and i agree with what Ceci said about it,
definate 10.

Back
Top Bottom